Your Turn : SGA candidate addresses questions of campaign integrity

In the Feb. 11 Daily News, questions were raised regarding implications of foul play, secretive behavior and unethical actions taken by members of the Loving Slate and staff. As an SGA presidential candidate, I would like to begin by stating that these allegations are totally false.

Our decisions were made based on orders from the elections board chairman, Michael Metcalf. We were told not to discuss election issues and we did not do so in accordance with the spirit of the elections.

Michael Metcalf was directly targeting my slate and staff with his actions in meetings with the elections board as well as with the interpretation and implementation of the elections code, thus violating the oath he had taken upon entering office. For example, my fine was $250 for twelve posters when, last year, Team Tolu was fined only $40 for approximately the same number of posters.

I commend Student Government Association president Tolu Olowomeye on her recent decision to remove the corruption within the elections board as well as her decision to appoint Joseph Flores as the interim chairman. I look forward to dealing with an honest and unbiased elections board under the leadership of Mr. Flores.

My slate is dedicated to openness in our communications with the student body as well as with the elections board. It is our principal belief that the Student Government Association can only function with the input of the student body; and without proper information given to the students, they are unable to make informed decisions.

I ask that the student body carefully consider the facts of this election. My slate is an experienced leadership team that represents the "heart of the Senate." We have years of experience in the Student Government Association and we represent every student on this campus every day. It is my most fervent belief that if elected we will continue to do so.

Our platform is comprehensive and deals with all facets of university life. By addressing academic issues, we hope to create a more positive learning environment for the students. With our community stance, we aim to work with the students and organizations on this campus as well as with the city of Muncie to address issues that affect us all.

By bringing safety issues to the forefront, we can alleviate the concerns of those who fear that their Social Security numbers will be wrongfully used and of those who continue to be fearful of walking alone at night.

Finally, with our multi-cultural ideas, we aim to eliminate the divisive barriers that segregate our lives. Only when we come together as one community will we be able to effectively voice our concerns.

I urge you to vote for me on Feb. 24 and 25. Loving Slate: "Excellence in Leadership through Experience."

Write to Nick at lovingslate2003@yahoo.com
Visit http://lovingslate.tripod.com