Cardinals open 2003 season Friday

Lynch, Paul to head pitching staff.

With its top two starters drafted Nos. 1 and 32 overall by the Major Leagues last June, its closer drafted and the No. 3 starter sitting out this season following an arm surgery, the pitching staff of the Ball State baseball team will have a decidedly different look this spring.

Bryan Bullington, Luke Hagerty and Paul Henry are gone and Patrick Lowery went under the knife last summer, but new head coach Greg Beals isn't facing a complete rebuilding job.

"A lot of innings pitched from last year's team are not here anymore," said Beals, an assistant for nine years at Kent State before being named Rick Maloney's replacement last August. "I feel confident with the capabilities of the guys we have this year. The only problem is they don't have the numbers to back it up."

Two centerpieces Beals will build his staff around are senior right-handers Jason Paul and Brian Lynch. Paul missed 2002 after arm surgery, but in 2001 he was first-team All-Mid-American Conference after recording 11 wins, which tied school record, and a league-best 2.89 ERA.

"It helps quite a bit," Beals said of having Paul back. "Not just from the standpoint that he's going to pitch, but he's also a great competitor. He's also one of our captains, so his leadership is vital to the team. His ability to contribute on the field certainly enhances that leadership."

Lynch, the Cardinals' No. 4 man last year, registered a 4-3 record and 4.15 ERA with 64 strikeouts in 65 innings. Beals said he and Paul will hold the top spots in the rotation.

"I really don't know that we have an ace," Beals said. "Brian and Jason will be the one and two combination. They will be our workhorses, our go-to guys.

"Lynch had a great summer and fall. He gained a lot of confidence."

Handling the third spot will likely be junior southpaw Mike Johnston (4.15 ERA in four innings).

"Mike's very capable; he had a good day on scout day," Beals said. "He just doesn't have the game experience."

Among those looking to round out the rotation are junior right-hander Andy Anderson (0-3, 10.80, 25 innings), who sat out the fall after arm surgery, and sophomore right-hander Jeff Michael, a transfer from Glen Oak Community College.

In the bullpen, Beals will turn a lot to the righty-lefty combination of junior John Pettibone (1-0, 5.91, 32 innings) and sophomore Kory Bucklew (3-0, 3.52, 53 2/3 innings). Sophomore right-hander Chris Hansen will also see plenty of action. Freshman Joe Ness is another that could log some innings. Beals said he does not yet have a definite closer to replace Henry.

"I think Hansen and Pettibone have potential to do that, so we're kind of looking at one of those two," he said. "Hansen has great stuff. He's had trouble throwing strikes a little in the past but seems to have cured that."