Your Turn: Israeli occupation must be lifted for peace

I have read several interesting articles lately in the Daily News about our possible attack on Iraq and about the peace marches against it; about terrorism in Irael and Palestine; and the brave and well-reasoned replies by our esteemed professors of English, and others.

I would like to thank all of the contributors, even though I cannot agree with some of the rhetoric. It is my sincere desire that compelling articles, fact-laden opinions, challenging thoughts and brave steps would lead to a better world where all people can live in peace as equals, sharing human dignity in diversity.

I would like to respond to the article of Nov. 14 titled, "Conflict Interpreted Wrongly by Student." The author provides her own explanation about the conflict in Palestine and Israel and says, "Certainly most rational human beings would agree that the terrorism that suicide bombers have inflicted on Israel is brutal and unjustifiable."

This is in fact a case of blaming the victim for the crime. Either knowingly or unwittingly, the writer provides an untrue picture of the only occupation that still stands in the face of the earth today: Israel.

Israeli occupation of Palestinian territories, using U.S.-made Apache and Cobra helicopters, firing U.S. -made missiles into groups of Palestinian civilians, killing many and injuring hundreds; the blowing up of hundreds of Palistinian homes, making homeless thousands of civilians -- against United Nations charters; the massive abitrary arrests of hundreds of Palestinians under the pretext of looking for militants, and jailing them for many years without being charged or convicted under administrative power; the never-ending curfews, the tank shelling of farmers in their fields and so on.

An occupation that is over 35 years old with no end in sight is clearly the worst form of terrorism. An act of suicide bombing out of desperation is not the greater crime.

In fact, it is the result of ongoing crimes against the Palestinian people, and only Israel is responsible for this situation! The author refers to the Palestinian children dressed in explosives to kill their "neighbor." Would she accept a brutal military occupier that terrorizes the whole community with tanks in the streets confining the people to their homes as her neighbor? I think not.

Would any of us agree to live with an expansionist neighbor who continues to build illegally on lands confiscated from the rightful owners? I think not. I recall President Jimmy Carter, back in the 1970's, calling these illegal settlements an obstacle to peace.

Nonetheless, one American administration after another has carried the same banner and provided our tax money for those illegal settlements.

There is no question about it: Until the occupation is lifted and a Palestinian state established, there will be no safety or security for the Israelis at the expense of Palistinian life and property, in spite of their military might and the billions of tax dollars that the United States sends to Israel.

With the violence we see on a daily basis, and the possible attack on Iraq with Israel as the only benefactor, it is for sure that some of the ramifications of both will always be with us.

Let us seek peace for all the people concerned, including our own future generations, by ending our support of the occupation, and support two states for two people, a fair and peceful settlement.

After fifty years of supporting Israel, we still cannot guarantee its safety and security. Let us make our elected officials accountable and bring this turmoil to an end.

Let America, as the leader of the free world, practice what she preaches.