View From The Spectrum: Lesbians viewed as sexual objects

From the people we talked to about the issue, lesbians are viewed primarily as sexual objects (in straight guys' fantasies as well as the ludicrous stories in porn). There is, however, more to the lesbian population than militant mullet-wearing male haters. The following pertains to lesbians and a few of the common stereotypes they face.

Mat: The misconceptions about lesbians that many straight males think up are insane. First of all, do you think that if there were two lesbians and a guy who were "getting it on" the lesbians would be at all interested in the guy? Lesbians are lesbians. A lesbian is a female who is attracted to other females (therefore, not interested in males).

Kevin: I think it's hilarious when I'm at parties with a lesbian and as soon as guys find out she's into women, they are trying to get her and another woman together so they could watch. Guys, lesbians aren't sexually attracted to you. Why even bother? Despite misconceptions, lesbians aren't all appetite and no taste.

Mat: I don't get turned on by lesbians. I can't say it has always been that way, but once you get to know lesbians, it just seems to fade away (for me, anyway). I am not saying lesbians are unattractive people. But two women kissing and such just doesn't do it for me anymore. It seems to be a big thing now. Maybe I'm just weird.

Kevin: I'm not sexually attracted to two women going at it either. Besides, something about Rosie O'Donnell (who is "out" now, but we called that a few weeks ago) and Ellen making out doesn't do it for me. I don't think it would if I were straight either, so maybe those two lesbians aren't the best example. Even if two Playmates decided to ditch Hugh and explore a little bit, I just don't see how straight guys could get turned on.

Mat: Another reason is all guys who want a multi-female bedtime are freaks. These are the guys who will hint about anything with their girlfriend and never actually say: "I want you to (put freaky sexual fantasy here)."

Kevin: Along the lines of guys fulfilling their erotic fantasies, I think the stereotypes of lesbians are extremely hilarious as well. The same people that say lesbians are militant combat-boot-wearing, men-hating (I know quite a few straight women who hate men), out-of-control feminists are the ones trying to keep them out of the army. Something seems wrong here.

According to the stereotype, I'd rather have an angry lesbian fighting for my country than someone worried if her camo pants match her hair clips. Apparently someone thinks otherwise, as lesbians are kicked out of the army three times more than gay men.

Mat: There are quite a few crazy stereotypes of lesbians out there. Short hair has to be of the most common of them. I've known women with short hair (who were straight) who have been called a "dyke" (of course by immature, ignorant individuals). This judgment is solely based on appearance. I guess straight women have to keep their hair long to hold onto their sexuality.

Final thought: If you're a guy trying to find a lesbian, first ask yourself why you're trying to find one. If it's for sexual pleasure, look no further than the porn section of your local video store. If you actually found a lesbian, all the play you'd be getting is by hitting the 'play' button on your remote control.

Write to Mat and Kevin at Twobsuguys@yahoo.com