EchoBrain a horrible stylistic mix

Grade: D+

It was a little bit exciting to be given the new EchoBrain album to review. The band includes Jason Newsted, Metallica's former bassist, and that instantly brought the misconception that some heavy-sounding tracks were on the way.

I have never been more disappointed, as the self-titled debut's music is only slightly better than the little-remembered solo projects of Duff McKagan and Izzy Stradlin (both from Guns 'N' Roses).

The music was a horrible mix of styles that managed nothing but three tolerable tracks out of 10, plus one hidden. The lead singer, Dylan Donkin, has no place in front of a rock band, much like Dave Mathews. He would be fit to put his talents to use in a jazz band, where his whining alto voice would be more welcome.

Drummer Brian Sagrafena shows a lot of talent in his playing and belongs in a classic-rock group. You can almost hear Jimi Hendrix playing over the top of Sagrafena's high hats. Sagrafena came from a musical background of funk and soul and is not unlike groups such as Towere of Power. Oddly enough, Newsted is a Towere fan as well, and this is part of what drew his interest in the drummer.

Newsted started out in an '80s band called Flotsem and Jetsam before joining Metallica. No one remembers Flotsem and I'm afraid his career may end that way - at least if this is the effort we get.

As far as the music goes, it couldn't be more boring.

"Colder World" and "Cryin' Shame" show small signs of life, but there is little else worth mentioning. Kirk Hammett (Metallica) plays guitar for "SuckerPunch," but it's still not enough to save the track.

"Colder World" is the first track, and after a couple times through, it grows on you a little bit. It starts out with some AM quality sound and then brings up the sound into a pop knock-off that belongs on Indianapolis radio station WZPL-FM.

"Cryin' Shame" is the last listed track on the album and you can hear the potential in the guitars and drums for a great track. Then Donkin starts. Throughout the album the singing is only mediocre, but it fits somewhat with most of the tracks. All of this song's potential is lost with the vocals, which is a cryin' shame.

By accident I discovered a hidden track. It includes piano, banjo and kazoo. Then a bad jazz section is thrown in to end of the track.

EchoBrain, however, makes a cool effect by putting in the crackles to make it sound like a vinyl record.

If the album was only these three tracks I could give it a C rating, but the rest of the music kills it. If EchoBrain's three members go their separate ways they could still salvage something. It might even be possible for Newsted and Sagrafena to keep something going, but Donkin just doesn't fit.

A second record may prove me wrong or maybe even repeated listening, if I can bring myself to do it.

Newsted needed to leave Metallica for personal reasons and if that's what he had to do, then he has this fan's support, but he is better than this album.