Cards advance after downing USF, mark first ever NIT win

Ball State's NIT win Tuesday marks the fourth post-season win in school history and first since 1990

Ball State marked it's first ever National Invitational Tournament win Tuesday after defeating USA Conference opponent, University of South Florida, 98-92. Ball State's win will stand as only the fourth post-season win in school history.

After a career-high 40 points from Chris Williams, Ball State's 98 points marked it's highest offensive performance since playing IUPUI on Dec. 15.

Eighteen of Williams' points came from behind the three-point arc as the junior went 6-10 from three-point land. Williams also shot 14-16 from the free throw line.

Also adding to the Cardinal win was Theron Smith. The forward marked his 21 double-double for the season with 26 points and 10 rebounds.

The Bulls biggest offensive threat for the night was Altron Jackson who had 23 points in the first half. The Cardinal defense, however, held Jackson to only seven points in the second half as the senior finished with 30.

It was the second half that proved victorious for the Cardinals offensively. In the first half the Cardinals shot 37 percent from the field. By the end of the game, the Cards improved that percentage to 47 after shooting almost 62 percent in the second half.

Starting the second half, Ball State trailed South Florida by eight points, 47-39. After a 20-3 run in the second half, 10 of which came from Williams, there was little the Bulls could do but try to catch up.

By the end of the game, one statistic that seemed rather lop-sided was free throw shooting. Ball State visited the charity strip 42 times, hitting 35 of those shots. South Florida on the other hand, went to the free throw line only 13 times, hitting five.

By winning Tuesday, Ball State advances in the NIT to play St. Joseph's who defeated George Mason 73-64 Tuesday night.

According to Bill Smith of the NIT, it is not yet decided if the game between St. Joesph's and Ball State will be played on Thursday or Friday. It is also undetermined which school will host the game. According to Smith, Jack Powers, executive of the NIT will call Ball State Wednesday morning with his decision. Smith said attendance plays a big factor in the decision. Ball State's attendance Tuesday was 3,237.

Check out bsudailynews.com Wednesday afternoon for thoughts on the game from Ball State's Billy Lynch, Chris Williams and coach Tim Buckley.