Hargrave addresses SGA on housing issues

RHA director says Anthony Apartments first project on schedule

If the excitement of executive board elections was not enough, it was not business as usual for Student Government Association Wednesday.

The Senate neither read nor voted on legislation because of time constraints brought on by two speakers, one of whom was Alan Hargrave, director of Housing and Residence Life, who presented the proposed 15-year residence hall renovation schedule.

Despite senator Nataki Sanders' suggestion to first renovate LaFollette Complex, Hargrave said the master plan would first rebuild Anthony Apartments. The new apartments will have layouts similar to studio apartments and townhouses.

"The condition of Anthony is a little better than a trailer park," Hargrave said. "We are rebuilding because it is ugly and not worth renovating."

LaFollette would be the next beneficiary. Renovations would add a floor to each tower and study lounges on each wing.

Hargrave also said there was a possibility of having a three-room setup, in which a bedroom would be on either end of an adjoining living room.

Creating sorority housing in DeHority and the Johnson complexes are also targeted for renovations. Johnson could also see the addition of townhouse-style rooms.

These $270 million renovations are being funded by increased room and board rates of $50 per month next year, an increase of 8.7 percent.

According to Hargrave, housing and dining have one savings account to fund annual operating costs. Any money not used for these services goes into a reserve account. The money from that account is used for repairs and renovation.

"During the last 15 years, $91 million from the reserve count was used for upgrades," Hargrave said.

Upgrades, however, are not the only expense. Hargrave said Housing and Residence Life expects a 14 to 20 percent increase in health insurance costs for employees and a possible increase in student wages.

"Housing and dining makes up two out of the three largest employers at Ball State," Hargrave said. "If summer labor or summer conference workers have a wage increase of 50 cents, that can add up."

After Hargrave spoke, SGA also discussed the placement of Homecoming and Fall Break on the 2002-2003 academic calendar.

Senators unanimously favored the prospect of Fall Break occurring Oct. 26-29 and Homecoming during the week of Oct. 13-19.