Team to host 2nd of 4 home meets

Ball State hopes to avenge last year's road loss to Ohio State.

Two years ago the Ball State women's swimming and diving team was beaten by Ohio State by mere tenths of a second in three events. The Buckeyes narrowly escaped the Lewellen Aquatics Center that season with a win because those victories.

Last year, the Buckeyes bounced back and beat Ball State by a wider margin in Columbus.

On Friday, the 4-3 Cardinals will have a chance for redemption when the 2-5 Buckeyes come to town.

"We know this will be a tough meet," said sophomore Jessica Nance. "They beat us last year, but I think we may have the edge against them this time. We will be swimming in our home pool and we won't be worn out from traveling."

Friday's meet against Ohio State will be the second of only four home meets this year. Michigan State beat the Cardinals 146-92 in the Nov. 8, 2001, home opener.

Competing at home against a Big Ten foe and swimming in front of loved ones are two of the factors that should help motivate the swimmers, according to head coach Laura Seibold-Caudill.

"There's always added incentive to do well when we compete in our home pool," Seibold-Caudill said. "Our opponents have some fast swimmers as well as some of the top divers in the country."

"We are aiming to swim the best we can against Ohio State," said senior co-captain Elizabeth Phillips. "The team will be more motivated then because we will be competing in a better atmosphere."

After going to battle with the Buckeyes, the team won't have much time to rest; it will compete at Cincinnati Saturday.

Ball State got a glimpse of what the Bearcats have to offer earlier this season at the Miami Invitational. Cincinnati took fifth plae; the Cardinals finished 10th overall.

"All of our swimmers have been competing together for a while now," Seibold-Caudill said. "It seems like everyone is a lot more focused and intense. I think we will be able to step up this weekend."