RedHawks down Cards, BSU beats N. Illinois

Seibold-Caudill says Miami (Ohio) will be the team to beat this year.

It was a bittersweet night for the women's swimming and diving team this past Saturday at Oxford, Ohio. They took on their conference rivals, Miami and Northern Illinois.

The Cardinals were defeated by the host RedHawks 215-85 but were able to upend Northern Illinois quite handily. Ball State dominated Northern Illinois by the score of 186-112.

Miami dominated the meet as they came looking for revenge from last year's 185-115 loss to Ball State here at Lewellen Aquatics Center.

"It's hard for either of our teams to beat our rival at their home pool." Cardinal coach Laura Seibold-Caudill said. "They came out after us because we beat them last year."

Carla Bailey was the only BSU swimmer with an individual win against Miami on Saturday. She won the 200-yard individual medley with a time of 2:09.62.

"Miami looked great," said Seibold-Caudill. "I really think that they are the team to beat this year. It wouldn't surprise me if they went undefeated in conference play."+â-ª+â-ª+â-ª

Ball State was able to win one other event during the meet at Miami. The Cardinals had a time of 3:41.33, holding off Northern Illinois by about two tenths of a second to capture the 400-yard freestyle relay.+â-ª

Disappointment was evident after this loss according to the coach.+â-ª

"We had some good performances," said Caudill. "But we also had some swimmers who just didn't respond well to the competition. We need to pull together as a team and get more focused going into conference meets."

The swimming and diving team is now 3-1 on the season and 1-1 in Mid American Conference play. Now preparation is underway for the first home meet of the season against Michigan State. That meet will be held at Lewellen Aquatics Center Thursday night.