SGA works to prioritize ROTC scheduling

<p>Senators discussing priority scheduling for ROTC members at Student Government Association’s (SGA) meeting Wednesday. This is the third attempt to pass legislation in the past two years to prioritize ROTC student scheduling.&nbsp;<strong>Liz Rieth, DN</strong></p>

Senators discussing priority scheduling for ROTC members at Student Government Association’s (SGA) meeting Wednesday. This is the third attempt to pass legislation in the past two years to prioritize ROTC student scheduling. Liz Rieth, DN

Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) students could have priority scheduling, said senator Aiden Medellin at Student Government Association’s (SGA) meeting Wednesday. 

Medellin wrote a resolution urging Ball State’s Office of Registrar to give priority scheduling to the 56 students in ROTC at Ball State.

“It’s difficult sometimes when it comes to scheduling your classes,” Medellin said. “Let’s say you have a class happening the same time as your military science class — Where do those responsibilities lie?”

ROTC students have mandatory military science courses they are required to take each semester, said Medellin, who is a ROTC cadet. 

However, cadets have limited flexibility when scheduling these courses because they have limited offerings, he said.

Additionally, if students don’t finish courses in four years, financial benefits they receive are cut off, according to the resolution. Priority scheduling could help ensure cadets have the classes they need to graduate.

Two attempts have been made to pass legislation about this the last two years, Medellin said. Due to either lack of time or details in the legislation, neither passed, he said.

“Everyone else that has been trying to pass this … That is what has motivated me,” Medellin said. “My peers, my fellow cadets — it would just make their lives and my life a lot easier to get this priority scheduling.”

Medellin said he is unsure where priority scheduling of cadets would be in relation to priority scheduling of other students, such as athletes.  

The resolution will be read a total of three times before senators vote to approve it. If senators approve it, SGA members will then take the resolution to University Governance. 

The resolution works to completing one of Amplify’s, the executive slate, 16 platform points, said SGA president Isaac Mitchell.

While no platform points have been completed in the past couple months, Amplify members are a few steps away from completing multiple points, he said.

Shuttle from village to downtown

Mitchell said Amplify members are working to establish a shuttle to downtown Muncie.

The shuttle would run during events downtown like First Thursdays, Mitchell said.

While a date yet to be set for this shuttle, Mitchell expects this point to be completed soon.

Amplify had two other platform points about shuttles that have already been completed.   

RELATED: Amplify completes 3 of 16 platform points

Extend Bracken weekend hours

Mitchell said over 1000 students have responded to a survey SGA sent out about extending weekend hours at Bracken Library. 

The majority of responses were in favor of expanding the weekend hours in some way, Mitchell said. 

SGA members plan to meet with the Dean of the Library in the next few weeks to discuss the survey.

Contact Liz Rieth with comments at ejrieth@bsu.edu or on Twitter @liz_rieth.