Starbucks releases its Pumpkin Spice Latte, The Caffeinery soon to follow

<p>Starbucks relseased its pumpkin spice latte Tuesday, Aug. 28. This is the earliest release of the latte in the company's history. <strong>Madeline Grosh, DN</strong></p>

Starbucks relseased its pumpkin spice latte Tuesday, Aug. 28. This is the earliest release of the latte in the company's history. Madeline Grosh, DN

The wait for the return of Pumpkin Spice Lattes is over as the drink was again released to the public Tuesday. 

August 28 is the earliest release of Pumpkin Spice Lattes, or PSL for short, in the company’s history. In addition, to the PSL, the store is releasing the Salted Caramel Mocha and a Teavana Pumpkin Spice Chai Tea Latte.

While these seasonal drinks bring excitement, the early releases can affect local shops like The Caffeinery. Owners of The Caffeinery Lauren and Frank Reber said, the trend of corporate coffee shops introducing holiday drinks earlier isn’t surprising. 

“Most of these shops answer to a board and shareholders who are always looking to maximize profits during the busy holiday season and the best way to do that is to make the season as long as possible,” the Rebers said in an email. “It’s the same reason we see department stores putting out Christmas stuff months in advance.” 

The Rebers said this can have negative effects on mom and pop coffee shops because consumers often feel if they can get a holiday drink at one store, they should be able to get it at all coffee shops. The Caffeinery currently does not offer pumpkin spice, but it will be on the menu after Labor Day. 

PSL’s were originally marketed by Starbucks in 2011, and have commonly featured early release perks for Starbucks rewards members. However, this year, there is no early access to the drink for rewards because the company released it early for everyone. 

Typically, the company releases a hint that PSLs are returning, but this year, Starbucks just tweeted Tuesday that it released the drink, which contains a syrup that flavors it like pumpkin.  

“Pumpkin spice is a thick syrup,” said Jessica Daniel, a part-time barista in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center. “If you’re getting a latte, it’s going to be syrup and steamed milk, so then we put your whip cream on top.” 

Daniel said she started seeing the PSL ingredients appear a little over a week ago. 

“It’s going to make our lives so hectic,” Daniel said. “It’s gonna make our lives really busy, and everyone's already asking about it.”

But the Student Center isn’t the only place Cardinals can get their pumpkin fix. Muncie has three other Starbucks locations on McGalliard Road, Tillotson Avenue and even one inside Target on North Barr Street. 

Additionally, local coffee shops like The Caffeinery carry their own signature seasonal drinks, such as a White Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Latte and Salted Caramel Mocha.  

“Our pumpkin spice latte starts with our house-roasted Habitual Espresso Blend that offers up tasting notes of Milk Chocolate, Toasted Almond, and Amaretto. We then pair this with a decadent White Chocolate Sauce and Pumpkin Spice Simple Syrup,” the Rebers said in an email. “These ingredients are then combined with milk that has been perfectly steamed to provide a sweet and creamy mouthfeel. The beverage is then topped with a spice mixture that will instantly take you to Thanksgiving and Halloween,”

In addition to the classics, The Caffeinery also will release a new creation: the Caramel Apple Butter Latte, which will remain in store for a limited time. 

“A coffee shop can be a fantastic place to visit during the holidays (especially during the colder months). There’s nothing like enjoying a warm and delicious hand-crafted beverage with friends and family,” the Rebers said.

People have already expressed their excitement with the early release of holiday drinks:

Contact Pauleina Brunnemer with comments at pdbrunnemer@bsu.edu or on Twitter @pauleina15