Muncie mayor responds to graffiti found at Prairie Creek Reservoir

<p>Muncie Superintendent of Parks Harvey Wright was notified of hateful messages graffitied in a fishing location at Prairie Creek Reservoir Friday, June 1, 2018. Wright notified the mayor's office, and Mayor Dennis Tyler released a statement on Facebook live.<strong> Brooke Kemp, DN Photo</strong></p>

Muncie Superintendent of Parks Harvey Wright was notified of hateful messages graffitied in a fishing location at Prairie Creek Reservoir Friday, June 1, 2018. Wright notified the mayor's office, and Mayor Dennis Tyler released a statement on Facebook live. Brooke Kemp, DN Photo

After hate messages were found at a Muncie park Friday morning, Mayor Dennis Tyler responded on Facebook live. 

Tyler said Muncie Parks Department superintendent Harvey Wright took a few individuals to Prairie Creek Reservoir to show them the park and where to fish Thursday. 

When the men went back to the park Friday, they saw the messages and notified Wright. 

“We believe that it was specifically targeted to the young men who were there [Thursday] night,” Tyler said in a phone interview with The Daily News.

The executive director of human rights for Muncie was notified and Tyler said the director also notified the FBI.

“This kind of cowardly conduct will not be tolerated in our city,” Tyler said in the video. “This is horrifying and horrible.”

Tyler said city officials are doing everything they can to catch those responsible, and if caught, they “will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.” 

“I can’t tell you how I feel, today,” Tyler said. “For these young men, or anybody to be subject to this kind of hate in our community is not going to be tolerated.” 

While the graffiti has been cleaned up, a police report has been filed. Tyler is asking anyone with information to call the Muncie Police chief at 765-747-4822 or Crime Stoppers at 765-286-4050

Contact Andrew Smith with comments at ajsmith15@bsu.edu or on Twitter @AndrewSmithNews.