Indiana primary elections will take place Tuesday, May 7. Voters should bring a valid photo ID. AP Photo
What you need to know about the primary elections
Voters in Delaware County will be heading to the polls Tuesday for primary elections.
There are various different positions to vote on so if the thought of voting day makes you anxious, here are a few tips to help ease your nerves:
What is a primary election?
A primary election is an election used to narrow the field of candidates for a given elective office or to determine the nominees for political parties in advance of a general election.
Can I vote?
U.S. and Indiana citizens can vote if:
- They're over the age of 18
- They're not currently in prison
- They have lived in the precinct where you vote for 30 days before voting
- They are registered to vote
What do I need to register?
Voters need a few pieces of information to register:
- College students should use their permanent address, which can include a home address if they intend to return to there after school.
- If registration address does not match the address on a state-issued ID, additional documentation of current address and name will be required.
- Voters can register online at www.indianavoters.com
When can I vote?
Polls will be open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
What do I bring to the polls?
First-time voters should be sure to bring a valid state-issued photo ID, as well as at least one of the following:
- Any current and valid photo ID that contains the voter’s current name and address
- A current utility bill, with the voter’s current name and address
- A bank statement, with the voter’s current name and address
- Paycheck with the voter’s current name and address
- Other government document that shows voter’s current name and address
What can I vote on?
A full list of candidates is on the Delaware County Voting and Elections website, but here's a look at what is on this year's ballot for Delaware County:
- United States Senate
- United States House of Representatives - District 6
- State Senate District 25
- State Senate District 26
- State Representative District 31-35
- Circuit Court Judge # 2
- Delaware County Prosecuting Attorney
- Delaware County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Delaware County Auditor
- Delaware County Recorder
- Delaware County Sheriff
- Delaware County Coroner
- Delaware County Assessor
- County Commissioner District # 3
- County Council Districts # 1-4
- Center Township Trustees
- Center Township Advisory Board
- Delaware Township Trustee
- Delaware Township Advisory Board
- Hamilton Township Trustee
- Hamilton Township Advisory Board
- Liberty Township Trustee
- Liberty Township Advisory Board
- Monroe Township Trustee
- Monroe Township Advisory Board
- Niles Township Trustee
- Niles Township Advisory Board
- Perry Township Trustee
- Perry Township Advisory Board
- Salem Township Trustee
- Salem Township Advisory Board
- Union Township Turstee
- Union Township Advisory Board
- Washington Township Trustee
- Washington Township Advisory Board
- Yorktown Clerk - Treasurer
- Yorktown Council Districts # 1, 4
- Yorktown Council-at-Large
- Precinct Committeeman
- Delegate State Convention
- State Convention Delegate (Commissioner Districts 1, 2, 3)