University reports shots fired on West Bethel Avenue

<p>Police responded to a shooting at 1701 N. Rosewood Ave. on Jan. 28. One person was shot and transported to IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital.</p>

Police responded to a shooting at 1701 N. Rosewood Ave. on Jan. 28. One person was shot and transported to IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital.

Muncie police are investigating after an unnamed male was shot at the apartments at 1701 N. Rosewood Ave Saturday evening.

Police confirmed that the individual was taken to IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital, but it is unknown if the injuries are life-threatening.

Neighbors reported hearing gunshots around 5:30 p.m.

Julius Kovacs, a sophomore telecommunications major, lives a few houses away from the scene and said he could hear a shot from his home.

“I was taking out the trash and walking back inside my apartment I heard a distant thud," Kovacs said. "There could have been more [shots], but I know I heard at least one. I just locked my door and got my gun out of its lock box.”

Ball State emergency notification services issued an alert at 5:32 p.m. stating that police were searching for a black male armed with a handgun.

At 5:44 p.m., the university issued a second notification advising that there was no ongoing threat to the campus and that a suspect had been located.

University police assisted at the scene, but Muncie police will handle the ongoing investigation. 

This story will be updated.