Mindful Meditation program held on campus

<p>Meditation in the Museum, one program of the Mindful Meditation sessions, is an initiative led by the Ball State Counseling Center and the David Owsley Museum of Art. The sessions teach students to relax their bodies and minds, while&nbsp;letting go of physical tensions, stress and anxiety.&nbsp;<i style="background-color: initial;">Emma Rogers // DN File</i></p>

Meditation in the Museum, one program of the Mindful Meditation sessions, is an initiative led by the Ball State Counseling Center and the David Owsley Museum of Art. The sessions teach students to relax their bodies and minds, while letting go of physical tensions, stress and anxiety. Emma Rogers // DN File

Meditation in the Greenhouse

Tuesdays, 3:30 p.m. to 4:45 p.m.

Meditation in the Museum

Led by Counseling Center on:

• Sept. 30
  • Oct. 14 and 28
  • Nov. 11
  • Dec. 2

Led by Dr. George Wolfe on:

• Oct. 7 and 21
  • Nov. 4 and 18
  • Dec. 7

No Meditation in the Museum on:

• Nov. 25, Dec. 25 and 30

Mindful Meditation sessions are currently being held across campus at both the Rinard Orchid Greenhouse and at selected times in the David Owsley Museum of Art (DOMA). Students meet and gather in the serene settings with experienced instructors to practice a variety of meditation techniques and learn to clear their minds.

One program, Meditation in the Museum, is an initiative led by the Ball State Counseling Center and DOMA. The goal is to teach students how to relax their bodies and minds, add positivity to their days and let go of physical tensions, according to the program overview.  The meditation time also allows students to relieve daily stresses and anxiety through mindful practice. 

Meditation, according to Psychology Today, is a proven way to heighten mental clarity, improve concentration and increase life satisfaction. It has also been shown to have many positive physical effects on the body, including slowing the process of aging and benefiting cardiovascular and immune health.

Ball State's sessions are presented as secular practices and aim to provide balance and stress relief to students.  

Cait Williams, a freshman telecommunications major, attended a meditation session earlier in the month and said the experience made her week go by much more smoothly. 

“It was really calming,” Williams said. “I was super stressed out about homework and stuff, especially being a freshman in my first few weeks, so that really helped a lot.”

Other students agreed. According to Nick Dennings, a junior speech pathology major, the unique setting adds to the serenity of the session. 

“You’re fully immersed in nature, and it helps you just chill out and be zen,” Dennings said. “I like that it’s in the greenhouse rather than like the middle of the school. It gives you a lot more focus.”

Midweek meditations will continue to be held in the greenhouse throughout the semester on Tuesdays from 3:30 p.m to 4:45 p.m. 

Interested students should gather in Christy Woods before they're taught various meditation techniques. The 45-minute sessions include practice of seated meditation, walking meditation, proper sitting techniques and various energy healing and balancing positions. 

The sessions are free to Ball State students, and no prior meditation experience is necessary.

No reservations are required to join the sessions. Comfortable clothing is recommended, and some students may wish to bring a towel, blanket or yoga mat to the practices.