International film festival, workshops to come to campus for first time

<p>Ball State hosted Cinesonika,&nbsp;an event that features Hollywood professionals for workshops and a six-hour film festival, on Sept. 30 and Oct. 1. Making its debut in the United States, the event&nbsp;showcases international works of film and video with soundtracks, idiosyncratic sound design, electric scoring.&nbsp;<i style="background-color: initial;">cinesonika.com // Photo Courtesy</i></p>

Ball State hosted Cinesonika, an event that features Hollywood professionals for workshops and a six-hour film festival, on Sept. 30 and Oct. 1. Making its debut in the United States, the event showcases international works of film and video with soundtracks, idiosyncratic sound design, electric scoring. cinesonika.com // Photo Courtesy

Schedule of Events

Friday

1 to 2:45 p.m. in Letterman Building Room 121 — Peter Damski, Production Mixer

1 to 2:45 p.m. in Letterman Building 241 — David E. Stone, Supervising Sound Editor

1 to 4 p.m. in Letterman Building Room 243 — Demonstration The Hollywood Sound Museum - Classic Sound Effects Exhibit

3 to 4:45 p.m. in Letterman Building Room 121 — Steve Lee, Sound Effects “Wrangler” and Archivist

3 to 4:45 p.m. in Letterman Building Room 241 — Vanessa T. Ament, Foley artist

Saturday

Letterman Building Room 125:

9 to 10 a.m. — Performance videos

10 to 11 a.m. — Narratives

11 a.m. to noon — Documentaries

Noon to 1 p.m. — Live performance

1 to 2 p.m. — Installation

2 to 3 p.m. — Interactive

Letterman Building Room 121:

9 to 10 a.m. — Animations

10 to 11 a.m. — Visual Music

Noon to 1 p.m. — Lyric Films

Letterman Building Room 123:

9 to 10:30 a.m. — Professional Experts Panel: David E. Stone, Peter Damski, Steven Lee, Vanessa T. Ament

1 to 2:15 p.m. — Paper Panel One: Landon Palmer, Stan Sollars, Andrew Hill

2:30 to 3:45 p.m. — Paper Panel Two: Michael Filimowicz, Adam Melvin, Prophecy Sun

Letterman Building Room 127

3 to 4:15 p.m. — Flimmakers Panel

Music Instruction Building Room 229

3 to 3:45 p.m. — Music Media Production with Robert Willey

Music Instruction Building Room 213

4 to 5:30 p.m. — Film Scoring Demonstration with Joshua Kattner

Sursa Performance Hall (free and open to the public) 

7:30 to 9:30 p.m. — Rick Altman, keynote speaker and author

Cinesonika, an event that boasts Hollywood professionals for workshops and a six-hour film festival, has been happening for five years. This year, it will take place in America for the first time, on Ball State's campus.

The event showcases international works of film and video with soundtracks, idiosyncratic sound design and electric scoring, and will take place Sept. 30 and Oct. 1. 

Hollywood professionals will hold several workshops students and guests can register for. 

Vanessa Amnet, a telecommunications professor, is responsible for getting the festival to travel to Ball State. 

"I wanted to bring Hollywood professionals here to expose Ball State and Cinesonika attendees to the perspective of Hollywood film professionals. So, I talked to Michael Filimowics, who is the founder, and offered to host it here," Amnet said.

Joshua Kattner, a senior telecommunications major focusing on sound production, will be running a film scoring demonstration during the event.

"The Cinesonika Festival is a fantastic way to learn about everything film sound," Kattner said. "It's a once-in-a-lifetime event to go and see how it's done, meet the individuals behind the magic and watch some great films along the way.” 

Workshops begin on Sept. 30 with Peter Damski and David E. Stone at 1 p.m. Damski is a production sound mixer who has won two Emmy Awards, and has worked on hit shows such as "Will & Grace" and "Mad About You." 

Damski's workshop will revolve around production mixing and will take place in David Letterman Communication and Media Building Room 121. 

David E. Stone is an Academy Award winner for Best Effects and Sound Effects Editing for "Dracula" in 1993. He will be leading a workshop on supervising sound editing in Letterman Building Room 241.

Both Damski and Stone now teach at the Savannah College of Art and Design.

Steve Lee, a sound effects “wrangler” and archivist, will be presenting a workshop on sound libraries and is putting together the very first sample of what will be presented at the Hollywood Radiophonic Laboratory he is developing. His workshop will be  at 3 p.m. in Letterman Building Room 121.

Ament has been involved in Hollywood since 1980. She is an award-winning professional Foley sound effects artist who received her Ph.D from Georgia State University. 

Amnet has worked on films such as "Die Hard" and "Platoon," and will be presenting a workshop on Foley and talking about international styles of Foley in Letterman Building Room 241.

There will also be a Hollywood Sound Museum demonstration of the classic sound effects exhibit held in Letterman Building Room 243.

The actual film screenings begin Oct. 1. This event is a unique opportunity to meet and interact with professionals in Hollywood and learn about several aspects of film. To register for the film festival and workshops, visit the Cinesonika website. The keynote speaker event is open to the public.