Davis excited to graduate, return for final year of eligibility

Redshirt junior guard Jeremiah Davis attempts to shot from behind the arc during the game against Bowling Green on Feb. 14 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Jeremiah Davis bio

Jersey number - 24

Position - Guard

Height - 6-foot-4

Weight - 195 lbs

Year - Fifth-year senior

High school - Huntington Prep

Other college - Cincinnati

Jeremiah Davis is used to hearing his name called in the starting lineup of his basketball games.

On Saturday, the Ball State guard will hear his name called as he walks across the stage to graduate.

Davis, a transfer from Cincinnati, played his first season for the Cardinals last season. He will return to play next season for his final year of eligibility despite his graduation.

“It’s great, and it’s a big honor," Davis said. "My mom, she graduated from Ball State as well.”

Davis grew up in Muncie where he attended Muncie Central High School.

He transferred, however, to Huntington Prep High School in West Virginia to finish the rest of his career. Huntington Prep is known for its basketball prowess, as it has produced multiple NBA talents.

Davis' play helped earn him a spot at Cincinnati. He played two seasons for the Bearcats before transferring to Ball State.

Two years later, he's ready to welcome his family and friends from Muncie in celebrating his college graduation.

“It’s really great," Davis said. "You know they’re excited. I’ve got family and friends coming. So I’m excited too. I’ve put in a lot of hard work on and off the court.”

He will graduate with a degree in communication studies.

Because a student-athlete must partake in schooling while playing a sport, Davis said he will pick up another major — most likely psychology.

Starting another degree will be helpful in the long run, he added. But he's not sure how long he will stay beyond his final year of eligibility.

After graduation, he'll focus on basketball. 

“Just work as hard as you can," Davis said. [I want to] help my teammates in any way possible and just be the best I can be and make everyone on the roster better as well.”

Davis played in 20 games last season, starting the final 17. He averaged 7.1 points and 2.8 assists per game while playing the point guard spot for the majority of his time.

His length also helped on the defensive end, as he led the team in steals.

But the most important number is seven. The Cardinals finished 7-23 last season after finishing the season with a 17-game losing skid.

Davis and his teammates are looking to change that statistic and improve this season.

If all goes as planned, Davis will hear his name called a lot over the next several months.

“We’re just honoring the process and working as hard as we can everyday," Davis said. "And then we go from there. Just do the best you can.”