Organizations camp out earlier for Air Jam spots

Air Jam ail return to Ball State this evening at Emens. The Lip Synching competition is one of the highlights of Homecoming and is already sold out. DN FILE PHOTO COREY OHLENKAMP

Members of Delta Zeta and Sigma Phi Epsilon perform on stage to a full house audience for Air Jam on Oct. 10 in John R. Emens Auditorium. Air Jam featured 20 competing groups, with Alpha Gamma Delta and Lambda Chi Alpha winning the Greek category. DN PHOTO COREY OHLENKAMP
Air Jam ail return to Ball State this evening at Emens. The Lip Synching competition is one of the highlights of Homecoming and is already sold out. DN FILE PHOTO COREY OHLENKAMP Members of Delta Zeta and Sigma Phi Epsilon perform on stage to a full house audience for Air Jam on Oct. 10 in John R. Emens Auditorium. Air Jam featured 20 competing groups, with Alpha Gamma Delta and Lambda Chi Alpha winning the Greek category. DN PHOTO COREY OHLENKAMP

Last Year's Winners

Residence Hall

Studebaker East

Independent

Outlet

Greek

Alpha Gamma Delta and Lambda Chi Alpha

Crowd Favorite

University Singers

Overall

Outlet

Students from Greek Life, residence halls, and independent organizations camped out earlier than last year to get a chance to perform at this year's Air Jam.

“In terms of the camping out, yeah, it was a lot more intense this year,” said Michael Nunley, Sigma Nu member and junior, spanish education major.

Sigma Nu joined in the wait at John R. Emens Auditorium 24 hours before the doors opened and an hour earlier than last year with a lot more people than expected, said Nunley.

Last year, campus organizations had to turn in their entry forms at the Alumni Center, which may have contributed to the larger turnout.

“I think groups camped out earlier than in previous years because of the location change," said Michelle Shubert, AirJam chair, in an email. "This meant it was much easier for students to take shifts and camp out together, so they probably didn't mind starting earlier than previous years.”

The line did not pose any problems for the box office.

“As of now we don't plan to limit how early groups can camp out. However, if we do allow students to turn in forms at Emens Auditorium that may change, because if there is an event, we don't want students camping out to disrupt any performances,” said Shubert.

Emens has a capacity of 3,309 people and tickets sold out Tuesday, a week after they went on sale.

“For the past two years Air Jam has managed to sell out Emens, so I wouldn't say this year is more popular than any other,” said Schubert.

This year, the Homecoming committee made the audition review process more strict.

Participating teams must have their choreography checked by judges to make sure nothing is too inappropriate. Sig Nu was told to ease up on the body rolls used in their dance, Nunley said.

“This year they’re about kind of toning down the sexuality of the show,” he said.

The award process is also different this year. Each category – Residence Hall, Independent, and Greek – will include a runner-up. The overall winner will get a $100 gift card to the recently opened Brother's Bar & Grill. Crowd Favorite winner will also receive a $50 gift card.

Air Jam will be Thursday at 9 p.m. at Emens Auditorium.