WOMEN'S GOLF: Junior golfer on top after first round of Cardinal Classic

Ball State Individuals

1. *Meghan McDougall 69; -3

T2. Kelsey Sear 72; E

T18. *Karley Dobis 77: +5

T18. *Morgan Nadaline 77; +5

T26. Jenna Hague 78; +6

T43. Mary Ellen Romero 80; +8

T49. Allison Lindley 81; +9

T60. *Brenna Obergfell “ 83 +11

T74. Kayla Adamson 85; +13

Ball State Tied 6TH

311; +23

Junior Meghan McDougall leads the field after the first round of the Cardinal Classic, which is being played at The Player’s Club in Yorktown, Ind. McDougall, along with three other Cardinals, are playing as individuals, meaning their scores doesn’t count toward the team score.

McDougall birdied five times to shoot 69, or 3-under par on Sept. 22 to finish in 1st place with one round to be played tomorrow. She leads teammate sophomore Kelsey Sear and four others by three shots.

“She finished with the best round of the day in a deep field, and it is wonderful to see her playing with confidence,” Ball State head coach Katherine Mowat said.

Sear (72), is the leading the Cardinals in team competition. Sear is tied for 2nd overall. Six of the nine Cardinals playing the event are in the top fourth of the field, three of which are playing as individuals.

Ball State (311) as a team is tied for 6th place with Bowling Green (311) after round one, and they are one shot behind Northern Illinois (310), in 5th.

McDougall will attempt to be the first Cardinal to win an event this year, as the second round will be played on Sept. 23.

The last time Ball State hosted the Cardinal Classic in 2012-13, the team won the event. Senior Jenna Hague of Ball State lost in a playoff for the individual title.

“We have work to do tomorrow, and I look forward to fighting back and defending our home course,” Mowat said.