BASEBALL: Cardinals to face Hoosiers in final nonconference game

Key Players

Sean Godfrey:.324 batting average
44 runs batted in
7 home runs
Zach Plesac:2.73 ERA
46 strikeouts
16 walks

After taking on two Big Ten opponents this season, the Ball State baseball team travels to Bloomington, Ind., to take on the Hoosiers.

The Cardinals fell to Big Ten foe Iowa earlier this season before knocking off Ohio State last week. Ball State upset IU last season, winning on the road 5-3.

It’s the final nonconference matchup for Ball State before getting back into Mid-American Conference play. The team is currently battling Central Michigan for the top spot in the MAC West, Central Michigan holds a half game lead over Ball State.

The offense is led by Sean Kennedy and Alex Call, who have two of the highest batting averages on the team at .374 and .328. Outfielder Sean Godfrey has had success knocking them in, leading the team with 44 RBIs and 7 home runs.

Shortstop Alex Maloney played an important role in Ball State’s series-clinching win against Western Michigan. He finished the game with two hits and two walks while knocking in four runners, also scoring twice. Today will be the first time he faces the Hoosiers.

Ball State head coach Rich Maloney is expected to use several pitchers in the game, a common tactic during midweek games. Against Ohio State, Ball State used four pitchers, none of them pitching more than 3.1 innings.

Zach Plesac has been the strongest pitcher for the Cardinals this season, owning a 2.73 earned run average while allowing batters to hit just .248.

The first pitch is at 6 p.m.