Gov. Pence announces state support for training hotel in Muncie

Economic impact of the hotel

• $3.4 million per year of operation in economic activity in Delaware County
• $1.5 million property taxes for Indiana over the first five years of operation
• $5 million provided by the Indiana Economic Development Corporation

Indiana Gov. Mike Pence announced state support today for a training institute and teaching hotel in Muncie.

Pence met to talk about the collaborative project with Muncie Mayor Dennis Tyler and officials from The Arc of Indiana, a statewide advocacy group for people with disabilities.

The project is first of its kind and will offer post-secondary education opportunities for people with disabilities. The opportunities include providing education in hospitality and food services industries as well as teaching human resource professionals in hiring and employing people with disabilities.

The hotel will feature two businesses in the lobby, which people with disabilities will operate, 150 rooms, a restaurant and an attached parking garage. Courtyard of Marriott will brand the hotel, said Kim Dodson, associate executive director of The Arc.

Tyler said he looks forward to working on the project to bring increased property tax revenue to the city.

“I could not be prouder of the fact that Muncie will be home to facilities that will provide job training to people with disabilities,” he said.

Indiana Economic Development Corporation will provide up to $5 million to construct and equip the hospitality training institute and teaching hotel.

Ground is expected to be broken this spring, adjacent to the Horizon Convention Center. It is expected that the hotel will open the summer of 2015.