How the night unfolded

6 police departments search for reported armed assailant at Ball State

Officer R. Trissel tells students how they are allowed to leave after the report of an armed assailant Nov. 15 at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center. DN PHOTO TAYLOR IRBY

Past weapon threats on campus

Compiled by Christopher Stephens

2012 BOMB THREAT
On Feb. 20, 2012, the Student Recreation and Wellness Center’s Gym 2 and locker rooms were evacuated after an employee reported a bomb threat written in something similar to chapstick in the women’s locker room.

The University Police Department officers blocked people from leaving the lobby of the rec center. Students were sent another emergency notification minutes later that told students not in Gym 2 or locker rooms to stay where they were. The campus wasn’t shut down and classes continued.

Several students said they were not concerned by the bomb threat at the time and continued to act as if nothing was happening. The hashtag #BombSoHardUniversity was used by several students poking fun at the incident.

Kerri Pickel, a psychological science professor, said the relaxed reaction to bomb threats could be contributed to warning fatigue.

2013 POTENTIAL GUNMAN At 8 a.m. March 11, 2013, an emergency alert was sent to Ball State students warning them to remain in a secure place. The alert said a white man with a medium build was seen walking near Bracken Library with what appeared to be a gun.

The University Police Department gave the all-clear after around 90 minutes spent searching the area, and they found no suspects. The university didn’t shut down campus officially, and some classes remained in session.

Students said they were confused at the time because the university was not clear on whether the campus was locked down and if they were allowed to leave their dorm rooms or academic buildings.

Gene Burton, chief of police, said residence halls are allowed to make their own decisions regarding lockdowns that is separate from the way academic buildings respond at the time.

Students also complained that simply issuing an “all-clear” was diluting to the situation because a suspect had not been caught and little information had been given to students.

Many students said the campus should have been closed for the entire day or at least during the 90 minute search period to keep students safe.

SOURCE: The Daily News

Three shouts of “gun” began three hours of at least six different police departments searching about 500,000 square feet in four buildings, evacuating an unknown number of occupants, finding zero suspects or threats.

Students were locked down in the facility as the University Police Department, the Muncie Police Department, the Delaware County Sheriff’s Office, Indiana State Police, Homeland Security and Delaware County Emergency Management secured the perimeter and searched the area.

The university began using its Twitter emergency alert account, @ballstate_alert, to tweet and also posted to its website nearly every 5 to 8 minutes, then down to every 10 to 15 minutes after activity slowed.

Police tape closed off the intersection of McKinley and Neely avenues as police secured the Lewellen Aquatic Center, the Health and Physical Activity Building, Worthen Arena and the Student Recreation and Wellness Center.

People who police evacuated to the Architecture Building were startled when an officer’s gun went off by accident, alarming police when it fired into the ground. According to The Star Press, the gun belonged to an Eaton, Ind., officer.

Those evacuated were then lightly searched and released as police conducted a second, more thorough search of the buildings before issuing an “all-clear.”

3 perspectives

Behind the tape

Ball State students share experiences of being locked down in Student Recreation and Wellness Center

Across the street

Ball State students watch police officers search facility from Architecture Building

From miles away

Off campus community, parents watched police chase from a distance

Daily News staff contributed to this story.