Carli Scalf

Email Carli Scalf

Articles

Then-junior student and Ball State VMC president Mary Posner still has the 'strike' shirt she wore to the Vietnam "teach-in" demonstration Ball State held in response to Kent State shootings on May 7, 1970. Photo provided, Mary Posner
CAMPUS

Kent State spurs Ball State into action

Imagine a sea of Ball State students gathering in front of the Arts Terrace at the David Owsley Museum of Art, not for graduation, but demonstration. At 10:30 a.m. May 7, 1970, a student yelled into a microphone, “Ball State, where are you?” 

Doug Jones is the Amphibian Man in the movie “The Shape of Water.” He graduated from Ball State in 1982. Bruce Smith, Photo Provided 
COMMUNITIES

Ball State alumnus featured in 'The Shape of Water'

From July to November of 2016, Ball State alumnus Doug Jones was on location in Toronto, Canada, on the set of his latest film project; pretty normal for a Hollywood actor. Decidedly less normal? Acting in a rubber suit, under dense layers of makeup, to play a romantic lead without speaking a word of dialogue. 

Mrs. Mearns took part in the student cooking show “Slice that Price” on Nov. 14 hosted by Cameron Bowen. Mearns demonstrated how to make her mother’s Thanksgiving stuffing. Korina Valenzuela, Photo Provided
CAMPUS

Jennifer Mearns appears on student cooking show

Ball State first lady Jennifer Mearns has always wanted to appear on a cooking show, and  on Nov. 28 she will finally make her debut when she appears on “Slice That Price,” making a special batch of her mother’s Thanksgiving stuffing.