Ranking Harper Finkle’s Best and Worst Outfits

Growing up in the early 2000s, I watched a lot of Disney Channel. I lived, ate, and breathed Kim Possible, That’s So Raven, and The Suite Life of Zack & Cody. One show that stood out to me was Wizards of Waverly Place. For most fans of the show, the family dynamic, magic, or  romantic relationships kept them tuning in each week, but for a niche group of devoted fans—it was Harper Finkle and her unique style. Harper Finkle, while just a side character, always debuted show-stopping outfits that fully encompassed her quirky and extraordinary personality. I have always loved Harper and her sense of style , but there will always be a best and a worst. Today, I will be ranking Harper’s outfits from best to worst based on aesthetic, uniqueness, and functionality/movement.

Best:

8. Sailboat dress

Photo by Pinterest

Aesthetics: ****

Uniqueness: ***

Functionality/Movement: ***

The sailboat dress is one of her best looks. The look uses the complementary colors, blue and orange, to create a vibrant, high contrast effect. By utilizing a toy sailboat, Harper’s headband cements her distinctive quirkiness. Her matching headband, necklace, sweater, and dress create a cute and cohesive look; perfect for a day of sailing, or beach vacationing. 

7. Blue '50s dress

Photo by Pinterest

Aesthetics: *****

Uniqueness: *

Functionality/Movement: ****

Harper’s blue '50s swing dress is one of her cutest looks; however, what her outfit  lacks in uniqueness, it makes up for with aesthetics.The light blue pattern and accessories create a classy vintage feel to her outfit. Harper’s dress is peak '50s fashion, which could easily be translated to everyday modern fashion trends.  

6. Strawberry dress

Photo by Pinterest

Aesthetics: ****

Uniqueness: ***

Functionality/Movement: *****

This strawberry dress caters to childhood obsessions with the cartoon character Strawberry Shortcake. Harper’s strawberry piece blends together perfectly with clever details of cartoon strawberry patterns and realistic plastic strawberries across the neckline. I don’t know many people that can fully commit to a strawberry-themed look, but Harper truly rocks this dress.

5. Bumblebee dress

Photo by Pinterest

Aesthetics: ****

Uniqueness: ***

Functionality/Movement: *****

The delicate yellow of this bumblebee dress fits perfectly together with the bold black of Harper’s bracelets and belt. All of the accessories pair well together to create an aesthetic ensemble that is perfect for all occasions. Not only is her bee purse big enough to easily fit any necessary essentials, but it is cute too. This look leaves me buzzing with excitement.

4. Lampshade dress

Photo by Pinterest

Aesthetics: ****

Uniqueness: ****

Functionality/Movement: ****

Harper’s neon and brown color scheme is a daringly awful pairing that is inspired by Y2K fashion. The matching color scheme, shape mixing, and uniquely detailed accessories lead to a fun night look. And, who doesn’t love a quirky hat?

3. Rubber Duck dress

Photo by Pinterest

Aesthetics: ***

Uniqueness: *****

Functionality/Movement: ****

Harper’s duck-pond themed dress and the matching boat is a wonderful diversion from mainstream fashion. The rubber ducks add a childish touch to an everyday T-shirt dress, making many people smile at just the sight. While the mixture of latex and regular cloth may not be appealing to some people, I believe that it adds uniqueness to this aesthetic wonder. Additionally, this dress allows for a wide range of movement due to its shape, and versatile look.

2. Racecar dress

Photo by Pinterest

Aesthetics: ****

Uniqueness: *****

Functionality/Movement: *****

Harper's racecar dress and her matching steering wheel beret are the epitome of camp. Its bad taste and ironic value allow the aesthetic and sensibility of this outfit to shine. Personally, I would love to have a dress with a name plate, spelling out my name like Harper’s. Not only is this look visually pleasing, but the functional honking hat puts a smile on people’s faces, including my own.

1. Marker dress

Photo by Pinterest

Aesthetics: *****

Uniqueness: *****

Functionality/Movement: ****

If you thought this dress would be anywhere on this list other than the top, you would definitely be wrong. The dress give off a "Ms. Frizzleair and brings a sense of nostalgia to mind. The color and charm of the dress are highlighted by the versatility of the piece, which is sure to receive a lot of compliments. Though the dress may seem heavy due to the number of markers, it is a surprisingly movable and functional look.

Worst:

8. Fruit Roll-Up dress 

Photo by Pinterest

Aesthetics: ****

Uniqueness: *****

Functionality/Movement: *

This dress is the epitome of a one-time look. It’s made of food! While the outfit is bright and cheery, the amount of bugs and flies that it probably attracts must be enormous. Only Lady Gaga would think to wear food as an outfit, and even then, there was negative press. The look is totally unique, but I doubt even Harper would wear it again. There is no functionality in something that can only be worn once. 

7. Shell dress

Photo by Pinterest

Aesthetics: **

Uniqueness: ***

Functionality/Movement: ***

This shell-themed dress looks as though it was made from the same fabric as the Red Lobster tablecloth. With its clam accessories, and lobster headpiece, the only thought that comes to mind is a seafood boil. Though the look may be cute to some, and is unique, it has to be at least a little heavy. The shells themselves also have to be a little sharp, which could hurt the wearer. Overall, the functionality and movement is not there. 

6. UFO dress

Photo by Pinterest

Aesthetics: *

Uniqueness: *****

Functionality/Movement: **

I doubt anyone has ever seen anyone in an outfit designed to look like a stereotypical UFO, and I doubt anyone has seen someone pull off an outfit designed as such. No one can pull LED lights, metallic safety strips, and pearls in a singular look. Additionally, the pointy shoulders and barely-there hat take away from the movement of this outfit, this dress is completely unique, but at what cost?

5. Hat dress

Photo by Tumblr

Aesthetics: *

Uniqueness: **

If you have never seen a horse in a hat, Google it and it will remind you of this outfit. This hat dress reminds me of a little girl at an Easter celebration, in a bad way, or a statue goose dressed up in holiday garb. The cartoonish pink and purple clash, and the exaggerated print looks like a cheap JoAnn’s fabric. While the outfit could be worn anywhere, its color scheme and low-grade form ruins this look.

4. Kimono dress

Photo by Pinterest

Aesthetics: ***

Uniqueness: **

Functionality/Movement: **

While this look may complement the Y2K fashion trend and is objectively cute, it’s cultural appropriation. Chopsticks in the hair, fan accessories, and a funky Americanized take on traditional Japanese garb makes this outfit uncomfortable to say the least .

3. Glove dress

Photo by Youtube

Aesthetics: **

Uniqueness: ***

Functionality/Movement: ***

Generally, most people would consider silk dresses classy and elegant, but when the silk comes from a careless arrangement of pastel gloves, the dress loses its intended class. The gloves not only create an off-putting color scheme, but they also produce an unpleasant texture that doesn’t flatter Harper’s silhouette. 

2. Baby Clothes dress

Photo by Pinterest

Aesthetics: *

Uniqueness: ****

Functionality/Movement: ***

This look, with baby clothes sewn to a dress, is horrendous. Not only is the outfit ill-fitting for everyday life, but the pastel colors fail to be aesthetically pleasing. Yes, the look is unique, but the composition and practicality are lacking. This dress would simply not work in everyday life.

1. Grill-Out dress

Photo by Pinterest

Aesthetics: *

Uniqueness: ***

Functionality/Movement: ***

No. Just…no. Lamb shanks as a hat? Multiple types of colored plaid? Gingham in general? Aesthetically, this outfit is a complete miss. Any look of Harper’s is unique, but this one misses the mark. Where would you wear this other than maybe a costume-themed barbecue? This outfit is just a miss, and I feel bad for Jennifer Stone, the actress playing Harper, who had to wear this fashion atrocity.

Featured Image: IMDB

Sources: IMDB, IMDB, IMDB, IMDB, IMDB, IMDB, Joann's Fabric, IMDB

Contact Rosie Mitchell with comments at rosalita.mitchell@bsu.edu and on Instagram @rivetin_rosie.