Gregory Dillon’s ‘Sad Magic’ Is Hardly Spellbinding

By Conner Tighe It’s been the year of EPs, it seems, and for queer pop singer Gregory Dillon, Sad Magic musters what is still left of 2020 and shoots through with his inner Brendon Urie inspiration. This five-track wonder is nothing short of your average pop appeal in every sense of the word. When Dillon’s vocals come through, one can’t help but feel Urie and Fitz and the Tantrums dancing in their heads. Sad Magic, with its upbeat dance aesthetic, although unique to Dillon, falls short in handling its own individuality.

Tapping into inner demons

There’s no doubt sensualness shines through every track, and Dillon does this well while talking about love in his world. “Sunset” channels Dillon’s inner queer, and he speaks to his love comparing him to a “sunset.” Very clever, Dillon. Sunsets have long been considered one of the most beautiful sights both in the photography world and the art world to which the singer is no stranger to. Dillon’s Instagram account expresses the singer’s persona and who he is as an artist and person in the LGBTQ community. He gives off a dreamy vibe in all his media representations, and along with this album, he does so but does an excellent job of talking about hurt in his past. “Screenshots” and “Sad Magic,” for example, introduces Dillon’s mission to go on with his life not looking back but instead looking ahead to what could be a bright future for his “dying flame.” Many men in the LGBTQ community can relate to struggling with their identities and finding love as a gay, queer, bi, or trans man. Dillon taps into something as profound as queer love through his vocals, which don’t disappoint.

Feeling you everywhere

There is no doubt moving on from someone close to your heart is difficult. Dillon’s references of withstanding pain from someone the listener doesn’t know themselves are mysterious but relatable at the same time. Listeners can feel the transition of Dillon’s feelings from track one to the ending of track five. Love is mysterious and works in mysterious ways, both physically and internally. The singer doesn’t understand the reason for his pain and continues to long for his love but sees hope and light at the end of the tunnel. Dillon feels his pain everywhere he goes as if a ghost haunts his every move. It’s nearly impossible to forget the past, but Dillon transcends through five tracks from someone who’s been the victim to the victor.

Mind magic

Although Sad Magic is a straightforward journey of Dillon’s love life, there’s also a hypothetical sense of accomplishment regarding what he’s been through. The singer’s vocals are dreamy and, to me, sound like Panic at the Disco’s Brendon Urie. Vocals, aesthetics, and storytelling accomplish a “mind magic” that plays with the listener’s heads. Dillon finds himself unable to separate his EP from other pieces of music in the pop industry. Sad Magic is fun with its upbeat rhythms and catchy lyrics,
“Stop, hold off, I can’t go back. Oh, the sky is burning fast. Call your name. I watch you turn into the sunset.”

Top tracks:

Sad Magic Lovely. Sunset

Recommended if you like:

Panic at the Disco Fitz and the Tantrums Troye Sivan
Sources: Instagram