Mac Miller's 'Circles' is a profoundly beautiful goodbye

by Baylie Clevenger I love music that I can feel. I love music that is authentic, raw, and intentional. And I have always loved Mac Miller’s music.  When I was 13, I met my now best friend of eight years. One of the pillars of our young friendship was Miller’s Blue Slide Park. I even remember the first time I heard “Frick Park Market” at midnight while my friend and I were sitting on my family computer watching music videos and being far too loud. We even had matching Mac Miller T-shirts. It’s the sweetest little memories like those that are tied to Miller’s music.  I know I am not alone in saying that Miller has always provided that authentic sound that I crave. Beyond loving his sound, I bonded with my best friend over his lyrics. That’s why in 2018 when he passed, I was devastated. Somewhere in my heart I knew that we may never feel that feeling of listening to one of his new tracks again.  I will be real and say that as my music taste evolved and changed in my teens, I had a moment where I fell away from his music, but I always found my way back and I always loved him not only for his music but for his unique place in the industry. And on Jan. 17, 2020, I found my way back once again to his posthumous album, Circles. This album worked out to be a beautiful, meaningful send-off for a lovely man. 

The beauty is in the lyrics

Don’t keep it all in your head/The only place that you know nobody ever can see/You’re running low on regret No tears, that's keeping you wet/ I think you gettin' it now I make this planet feel like home/Miss us, first time the door is closing/So far beyond all our control/You say it's all so close to broken/It's so much better when you wait/Forever and a day, that's all I got/ Put it together then it breaks

A beautiful goodbye

Circles. Hey, one of these days we'll all get by/ Don't be afraid, don't fall
Where are you goin'? Can I come too?/The whole world is open, a playground for me and you

Honoring a legacy 

Swimming
Variety