‘Final Fantasy VII' remake and the state of the modern ‘Final Fantasy’

by Tanner Kinney Picture this: the year is (roughly) 2007, or so. Nine-year-old Tanner Kinney and his family recently purchased a brand-spanking used PlayStation 2 Slim, along with Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves and War of the Monsters. A friend down the road has a few PS2 games as well, and he occasionally brings them over so Tanner can try them. One of these games was a PlayStation One game titled Final Fantasy VII (FFVII), an ugly looking game that I didn’t understand most of despite being a fairly competent young reader. But, it was loads of fun to play, even though we didn’t have a memory card for it and couldn’t make it past Midgar. https://youtu.be/Ru9zzFEdGWk A year or so later, another friend loans us a spare copy of FFVII and a memory card so we can finally experience the game in full without having to keep the console on overnight. I never made it past Disc 1 (I would always get lost after leaving Midgar), but my brother was able to play through the game and I experienced it with him. It was fantastic, at least what I remember of it. I especially loved Yuffie’s storyline and character arc, since she was (and still is) my favorite character in the game. Even when I got older and edgy in the “popular-thing-is-bad-because-it-is-popular” sense, I couldn’t deny that Final Fantasy VII was a great game. Since then, I’ve played through nearly every single mainline Final Fantasy title in one (or multiple) of their various releases. I have my own personal favorites, of course, but other than Final Fantasy II (Japan) and the entirety of the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed all of them. I subscribe to and even sometimes play Final Fantasy XIV, and I spent the entirety of the week after release of Final Fantasy XV just playing through the game in full, nearly non-stop. That was the first game I ever got a platinum trophy for (although, that’s without the DLC). Final Fantasy is a series that means a lot to me, even with some strange narratives and a nonsense understanding of time travel.

Final Fantasy VII Remake (FFVIIR) Kingdom Hearts 3 Final Fantasy XIV’s Final Fantasy XVI FFVIIR Final Fantasy

The (alleged) death of turn-based combat

Final Fantasy Final Fantasy IV Final Fantasy X Final Fantasy II Final Fantasy III V Final Fantasy VII’s Final Fantasy VIII Final Fantasy X’s Final Fantasy IV, VI, IX Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age Final Fantasy X-2 Final Fantasy Final Fantasy XIII FFXIII Final Fantasies Final Fantasy XIII-2 Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns  the gameplay not being as engaging worked against the FFXIII trilogy in exposing the flaws within the series as a whole. FFXIII Final Fantasy making Lightning an actual Louis Vuitton model in the real world that we live in. Lightning Return’s

Oops all Kingdom Hearts

XIII Final Fantasy XV FFXIII Final Fantasy XIII Versus The Last Guardian Kingdom Hearts Final Fantasy Type-0 Final Fantasy XV Kingdom Hearts Fabula Nova Crystallis FFXIII Kingdom Hearts Kingdom Hearts Bravely Default Octopath Traveler

‘Final Fantasy VII Remake’ will never live up to expectations

FFVIIR Half-Life 3 Final Fantasy Final Fantasy Persona 5 Digimon Dragon Quest I am Setsuna Octopath Traveler Shin Megami Tensei V Final Fantasy Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Tactics FFXIV FFVIIR
Louis Vuitton WCCF Tech