'The Promised Neverland' Season 1 is a promising start to a new series

by Katherine Simon 2018 was a somewhat disappointing year in anime for me. Despite finally giving me the Vento Aureo anime adaptation I’ve waited so long for, and offering plenty of cute comedy shows, there wasn’t really anything that blew me or the rest of the anime community away, especially when compared to 2017’s standout shows such as Made in Abyss and Land of the Lustrous. However, 2019 seems to be making up for this right out of the gate with The Promised Neverland, a 12-episode anime adaptation of the ongoing Shonen Jump manga of the same name. The show covers the first arc of the manga and is directed by Mamoru Kanbe of Elfen Lied fame. Unlike its action-heavy Shonen Jump contemporaries, Promised Neverland has more of a focus on horror and mystery elements, not unlike the publication’s other popular thriller series, Death Note. Add this with the anime adaptation airing on the Noitamina block in Japan–which is usually reserved for more experimental adult animation far outside the typical Shonen Jump demographic–and it’s clear to see that this series is quite unique for something that’s aimed at the same target audience as My Hero Academia and One Piece.

A Great Escape

The Promised Neverland
Image from Crunchyroll
Chicken Run Great Escape Promised Neverland Death Note

A wonderful group of precious children

Promised Neverland
Image from Crunchyroll

The CloverWorks redemption

Persona 5: The Animation Darling in the FranXX Persona 5 let’s just say less than stellar animation Promised Neverland
Image from Crunchyroll
Sword Art Online The Promised Neverland Land of the Lustrous Gatchaman Crowds Neverland Promised Neverland
Crunchyroll Amazon