Spectrum drag show raises over $1500 for Muncie OUTreach

by Eben Griger Spectrum, one of Ball State’s LGBT+ student groups, hosted their semi annual drag show in Ball Gymnasium on Saturday, Nov 3, which in total raised $1504 for Muncie OUTreach, a non-for-profit LGBT youth group. This year's theme was Breaking the Binary, featuring technologically oriented decorations. The drag show featured a multitude of queens lipsyncing, dancing and, in one case, actually singing along with music. In addition to the choreographed numbers, announcers would crack jokes about the event and poke fun at themselves and other queens while giving introductions Throughout the acts, spectators gave donations in the form of tips, either given to the queens themselves or put into buckets placed around the stage. The show also featured a booth with merchandise available, where Spectrum members were selling shirts. Proceeds from that were also added to the donation total at the end of the night. The show ended with the regular awarding of sashes, but to crown the true queen, contestants were treated to a lip sync battle between the two finalists. After the winner was decided, the hosts congratulated everyone who participated, both onstage and off, and announced the total raised. As the crowd filed out, they were able to chat with some of the queens and continue making donations.

Image Gallery

Click the image below to see more from the show!

Photography by Eben Griger 

[ngg src="galleries" ids="14" exclusions="167,169,170,174,175,189,275,278,281,283,288,289,292,295,297,302,306" display="basic_slideshow"]
Photo Editing: Jeremy Rogers