History Of: Vampires in media

by Tt Shinkan The opinions and views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not reflect the opinion of Byte or Byte's editorial board. Author’s Note: This article does contain spoilers for a few books and series. If you’re interested in anything covered in this feature, I suggest not reading that section if you don’t want to be spoiled. What comes to your mind when you hear “vampire”? Chances are you probably think of a pale, dark haired, often good-looking individual that has weird colored eyes and fangs. Or you might be thinking of a person who sparkles. No matter what you think of, you probably have some sort of favorite vampire story or character. Over the last few decades, vampires have stepped into the pop culture spotlight. Every movie, every TV show, and every book all have different interpretations of these monsters. Throughout pop culture history, authors, directors and artists have had their own interpretations of these bloodsucking monsters. You have vampires who only drink the color red, vampires who sparkle in the sunlight, vampires who have tattoos on their foreheads, and you even have dhampirs. This feature will break down some unique takes on vampires. I’ll start with the father of vampires and where this monster got its start and I’ll end it with my favorite interpretation of these creatures.

Dracula

original bloodsucker Dracula
Image from Documentary Tube
gave birth to future vampire stories

Carmilla

Carmilla
first vampire story
Image from Wikipedia
Dracula Carmilla: The Original Female Vampire

Marceline (Adventure Time)

Adventure Time last known vampire in existence Marceline drinks the color red instead of just blood
Image from Los Angeles Times

The Strain

The Strain The Strain
Image from CNN
The Strain

House of Night

The House of Night
Image from House of Night Wiki
House of Night The House of Night
Image from House of Night Wiki
The Strain The House of Night Marked
Live Science Romania Tourism The Toast Atlas Obscura Adventure Time Wiki IMDb Documentary Tube Wikipedia Los Angeles Times CNN House of Night Wiki