Avengers: Infinity War’s biggest weakness is its future

By Joe Bursley WARNING: Major spoilers ahead for Avengers: Infinity War and possibly future MCU films. The opinions and views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not reflect the opinion of Byte or Byte’s editorial board. One of the biggest complaints of the Marvel Cinematic Universe is how inconsequential its movies tend to be. The heroes always win, the bad guy is defeated and almost always killed off (unless they're fangirl-bait like Loki), and the universe is more or less returned to a normal stasis. It is difficult to watch a movie and anticipate high stakes when all the hero cast members already have sequels announced beforehand. After 18 movies, fans have been desperate for consequences in Infinity War just for a change of pace, with predictions of heroic deaths like Captain America abounding before the film's premiere. And the Russo brothers delivered in their massive Avengers movie, in the most massive way. Infinity War has lots of character deaths throughout the film, and it does leave quite the cliffhanger at the end to set up Avengers 4 next May, whatever it will be called. And, for the most part, the movies set in the MCU after Avengers 4 have remained a mystery, save for a couple. Yet I already sort of know how the next film will resolve the cliffhanger in Infinity War, or at least that it will happen. As much as Marvel tried to keep their cinematic universe’s future a secret, they didn’t quite cover all their bases.

So, who does die in Infinity War?

The story of Infinity War is really the story of its main protagonist, Thanos. Yes, the movie is supposedly called Avengers: Infinity War, but the movie really focuses on Thanos and his journey to collect the Infinity Stones. His reason? Because the universe is finite, and life finds a way to grow exponentially until it collapses due to a lack of resources, Thanos plans to use the Infinity Gauntlet to harness the Stones’ power to wipe out half of all life in the universe indiscriminately. From every planet and every race/species in every galaxy. “Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.” Ultimately, Thanos is successful in his mission, as he collects the Infinity Stones and seals the doom for the Avengers. The multiple deaths in the film can be split up into “pre-snap” and “post-snap,” where “post-snap” deaths result from Thanos’ balancing act, while “pre-snap” deaths are casualties on his quest to gather the Infinity Stones. The four pre-snap deaths are Loki, Heimdall, Gamora, and Vision. All the others, including Bucky, Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Falcon, Spider-Man, Scarlet Witch, Star-Lord, Drax, Groot, Mantis, Maria Hill, and Nick Fury, disintegrated into piles of ash once Thanos balances the universe. The film ends there, leaving the open question of what will happen next in Avengers 4.

But do they really die?

This is Marvel’s biggest issue with the ending of Infinity War: they killed off all their newest members. Many fans were expecting Captain America and even possibly Iron Man to bite the bullet during this film, as their contracts are basically up, and they’ve been around since the beginning of the MCU. However, all six of the original Avengers were suspiciously seen alive after the big snap (well, except for Hawkeye), while more recent stars like Doctor Strange, Spider-Man, and Black Panther all turned to ash. And this largely hints at these deaths not being permanent. If the MCU is planning to evolve and continue after Infinity War, it will likely want to use the more recently established heroes to continue what the original six started in 2012. It seems likely that the future Avengers’ roster will include Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Spider-Man, Captain Marvel (once her solo movie introduces the character in March 2019), and probably Ant Man and/or the Wasp. That can’t happen if most of these heroes are piles of ash. Marvel’s own movie roster confirms that the deaths are not permanent. Spider-Man is scheduled to have a solo sequel to his Homecoming adventure that takes place immediately after Avengers 4 and is scheduled for release July 2019. “But wait, Spider-Man died! I cried when he was clinging to Tony Stark at the end of Infinity War,” you may protest. Don’t worry; I cried to. But it would be difficult for Spider-Man to have a solo adventure after Avengers 4 if he stayed dead, which indicates he will somehow come back to life. Also, Kevin Feige, the God-King of Marvel Studios, has revealed that Black Panther will also get a sequel at some point, despite that character having bit the dust as well. So, if at least two of the ashen heroes are confirmed to come back, it's probable that everyone else will too.

Image from Reddit

Avengers 4 NINE Avengers 4 Infinity War

So, how will they fix the universe?

manipulate time which in of itself is suspicious turn back time and bring someone back to life leaked pictures of the Avengers 4 set Avengers Or could it be an elaborate hoax by the Russo brothers to distract spying fans? Infinity War Avengers 4 Infinity War
Cosmic Book News Den of Geek CinemaBlend CBR AIPT! ScreenRant Reddit Imgur