'Far Cry 5' is a gorgeous, entertaining, but slightly bumpy romp through the mountainside

By Tanner Kinney Disclaimer: This playthrough is based on the PS4 version of the game. This copy of the game was provided by the developer for review purposes. The “Ubisoft open-world” game has become somewhat of a joke among the gaming community. Since the underwhelming Watch Dogs and Assassin’s Creed: Unity hit the market, Ubisoft began receiving a lot of flak for producing underdeveloped, buggy, and cookie-cutter open world titles. Assassin’s Creed Syndicate didn’t make anyone more hopeful, and Far Cry Primal allegedly re-using the map from Far Cry 4 just looked lazy. However, Ubisoft actually took a lot of these criticisms to heart, and brought what used to be annual franchises back into their game development oven for a bit more cooking. Watch Dogs 2 turned out to be a bit of a sleeper hit, and Assassin’s Creed Origins revived a lot of what people were looking for in that franchise by providing an interesting new location and much improved gameplay. With the release of Far Cry 5, Ubisoft hopes to repair the name of that franchise as well. And despite a somewhat bumpy journey at points, they’ve managed to create one of the most truly open worlds in gaming. This game surpasses all expectations, and creates a Far Cry game that even surpasses the greatness of Far Cry 3.

Provide salvation to a troubled county in any way you can possibly imagine

Far Cry Far Cry 5,
Image from PlayStation Universe
Image from VG24/7
how Far Cry 5
Far Cry 5,
Image from MMOGa

Shockingly dark narrative with a cast of vibrant personalities

Image from VG24/7
Far Cry 5

Presentation that creates atmosphere thicker than Montana fog

Image from Digital Trends
Far Cry 5
Polygon Digital Trends VG24/7,  MMOGa PlayStation Universe