No Strings Attached - Age of Ultron Trailer Recap

by Abbie Willans

In the update sent out from their Twitter account, Marvel blamed Hydra when the first trailer for Avengers: Age of Ultron was leaked Wednesday, much earlier than anticipated. Needless to say, the internet exploded. After the leak, Marvel officially released the video on YouTube. It’s earned over 34 million views in four days.

While only a little over two minutes long, the trailer is packed with hints if viewers are paying attention. It features the main six Avengers from the first film, as well as two never before seen newcomers: twins Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.

It’s been rumored that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver start out on Ultron’s side in the movie, which is supported when he appears to break them out of what could be Baron Wolfgang von Strucker’s castle where they were imprisoned.

According to screenrant.com, Baron von Strucker, a World War Two veteran involved with Hydra, will be played by Thomas Kretschmann.

Though the movie has familiar faces, they have been through a lot since fans saw them last. Hawkeye has a new costume which more closely resembles the original one from the comic books, which was inspired by Robin Hood.

Despite the fact that Tony Stark seemed to have scrapped his suits in Iron Man 3 and removed the arc reactor from his chest, he is seen in the new Hulkbuster suit, battling with the “green rage monster” himself.

Black Widow is pulling stunts as per usual like driving motorcycles out of moving jets, and the Hulk’s alter ego, Bruce Banner, looks like he’s seen better days.

Similarly, Thor is seen without his hammer in much if the trailer, which could be a nod toward where the comics are currently, with the god of thunder deemed unworthy of his weapon.

Captain America’s shield, on the other hand, is shown to be broken into pieces. The only place to get it repaired with rare vibranium metal is Wakanda, the invented African kingdom Black Panther rules over.

This and a facial shot of Andy Serkis, are causing fans to wonder if Black Panther will be making an appearance. Andy Serkis, most widely known for his role as Gollum in the Lord of the Rings, is the subject of much speculation: is he Ultron’s motion capture actor, or could he be Ulysses Klaw? The shot of his face looks very similar to the bearded comic book version of Klaw.

Additionally, it looks as though James Rhodes, Iron Patriot from the Iron Man films, and Agent Maria Hill of Captain America: The Winter Soldier will be showing up in the film.

An unidentified woman is shown with them and the other Avengers, and many are wondering if she could be Dr. Jane Foster, Thor’s lover.

The thing that really has a lot of people talking is the haunting rendition of “I’ve Got No Strings” from Pinocchio playing in the background throughout the trailer. Ultron’s history and powers are not going to mirror those from the original comics, but he will still be a robot, one that was meant to be controlled and obviously has different ideas.

He begins the trailer by calling the Avengers puppets, ending it by giving the chilling declaration: “But now I’m free. There are no strings on me.”

What do you think of the new trailer? Will you be seeing the movie in theaters in May? Keep checking Byte for more news on Avengers: Age of Ultron.