Spring donation drive

MUNCIE, Ind. — Two suitcases and possibly a carry-on bag: that’s what international students are limited to bringing on an airplane, no matter where they are studying. This restricts the essentials they can pack. 

However, Ball State University’s Rinker Center has created a brand-new initiative, The Spring International Donations Drive, to help support these students. The drive was led by Jonathan Hooker, who is the International Student Success Coach at the university.

“This is a way we thought to ease the burden of students to help cover some necessities like bedding and cookware. We’ve partnered with other international student donation groups that have been doing good work for several years in the Muncie community,” Hooker expressed. 

Although Hooker was born and raised in Missouri, he has seen from personal experience how helpful it is for students from various backgrounds and countries to be supported by their university. 

“I’ve visited Japan and I’ve made friends from around the world. I’ve seen how beneficial it is for students from various backgrounds and countries to get additional support from the institutions they are studying abroad,” Hooker stated. 

Even though this donation drive has faced obstacles, such as sharing space for their donation area, Hooker remains hopeful for what the future brings. 

“The thing that excites me is that there is support behind this idea and we are determined to figure it out,” Hooker said.

The donation drive will continue until the end of the semester, and all donations will be made to international students in the fall semester.

Contact Amelia Winter with comments at amelia.winter@bsu.edu.