Ball State’s Latinx Student Union celebrates Unity Week 2024 with Latinxpoolza.

With Ball State University’s Unity Week coming to a close, Latinx Student Union (LSU) held their staple event Latinxpoolza on Friday.

The event started at 6 p.m. in the L.A Pittenger Student Center Ballroom, with the theme of the event being “Vaquero/Wild West.”

The show had five performances: Ball State Studio Band, Operation Black Out dance group, ABSO Improv Comedy, Nashaly Santiago Guzman and Paulo Diaz-Enciso, and Fuego Nuevo USA Ballet folklórico de Indiana.

Ball State Studio Band performed three songs: “Crazy in Love” by Beyoncé, “I Wish” by Stevie Wonder and “Treasure” by Bruno Mars. 

The band will perform original and covered songs at Be Here Now in the Village Feb. 2 at 10:30 p.m. 

Santiago Guzman and Diaz-Enciso performed a duet of “Sway” by Dean Martin. Santiago Guzman song a solo of “Preciosa” by Marc Anthony.

ABSO performed four improv games and announced their upcoming show Jan. 26 at 7 p.m. in the Arts and Journalism building in room 175.

Fuego Nuevo USA, based in Kokomo, Indiana, is a nonprofit organization that performs the traditional Mexican dance.

LSU Vice President Marleny Garcia-Juarez was grateful to all of the performers, especially Fuego Nuevo USA since it was a donation-based dance group. 

President Jacqueline Oritz enjoyed ending with Fuego Nuevo USA, ending on a cultural note.

Besides expressing her culture, Oritiz enjoys seeing other people showing their talents and cultures.

“It's a beautiful experience to see how many people come together and how many people like really come to show their talents,” Oritz said.

Garcia-Juarez feels that Latinxpoolza is an event of sharing culture. 

“It makes me feel happy in my heart because I'm seeing not only my people, but other people enjoy and be happy as they watch things that are related to my culture that I have lived with or grown up with,” Garcia-Juarez said.

Unity Week ends Sunday with Ball State’s Black Student Associations 55th Unity Pagent at Pruis Hall at 7 p.m. Saturday has two events: the Benefience Leadership Conference from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Late Nite 8 p.m. to 12 a.m.

Contact Hannah Amos via email at hannah.amos@bsu.eduor on X @Hannah_Amos_394.