Ball State track and field performs at the Hawkeye Invitational

Ball State track and field had multiple high placements at the Hawkeye Invitational.

First-year sprinter Lindley Steele runs through long jump at the Ball State Track and Field We Fly Challenge on April 15 at the University Track at Briner Sports Complex. Katelyn Howell, DN.

In their third meet of the season, and first of the 2024 calendar year, the Ball State track and field team had a well-rounded performance coming back from break at the Hawkeye Invitational at Iowa University.

“Students got back on campus Monday and we turn around and compete Friday, Saturday. So it was just good to see them compete,” head coach Adrian Wheatley said.

Starting off the weekend senior Jenelle Rodgers placed fourth in shot put with a throw of 14.32 meters (m). Freshman Sophie Daugard placed seventh with a new personal record (PR)  of 13.70 m.

On Saturday, there were two Ball State athletes in the top 10 of the high jump, with Rodgers placing second with a jump of 1.65m, and freshman Malina Miller placing seventh with a jump of 1.65m.

In the long jump, three Ball State athletes placed in the top 10 with freshman Kendra Keesling placing seventh (5.23m), junior Mckenna Cinotte (5.17m) and sophomore Lindley Steele (5.04m).

In the triple jump, Cinotte placed third with a jump of 11.42m.

In the 60-meter hurdles, Rodgers placed second with a run of 8.73 seconds, and freshman Lauren Graham placed seventh with a new PR run of 8.76s.

In the 60-meter dash Ball State placed third through sixth with runs from senior Makayla Sumrall (7.60s), sophomore Alana Springer (7.61s), junior Jenna Oriani (7.61s) and junior Moriah Johnson (7.63s). 

In the 200-meter dash, there were 3 athletes placing in the top 10. Placing second was Oriani with a run of 24.51s, sixth was Springer with a run of 24.82s, and Johnson with a run of 25.44s.

In the 600-meter dash, senior Alexis Thigpen placed sixth with a PR run of 1:35.43s.

Freshman Maci Hoskins had the only first-place finish of the meet in the 3000-meter dash with a run of 10:57.92s.

The meet finished off with the 4x400, with Ball State’s A team competing placing seventh overall.

Coach Wheatley spoke about how he loved the teams' competitive spirit and their outlook moving forward.f

“I believe that the team overall, they were competitive, and they wanted to compete,” he said. “And that was one thing that I liked to see… We want to keep building upon what we have. What we started this week, I think again, there's a lot of things that we can continue to keep working on. But I think we’ll stay in focus and stay poised and really make sure that we're taking care of ourselves on and off the track and staying consistent.”