D’Amare Hood wins Delaware County High School Athlete of the Week, candidates for 11/29-12/6

<p>Delta junior D’Amare Hood attempts a layup in the 3A regional championship March 11 at New Castle Fieldhouse. Zach Carter, DN</p>

Delta junior D’Amare Hood attempts a layup in the 3A regional championship March 11 at New Castle Fieldhouse. Zach Carter, DN

Delta senior basketball player D’Amare Hood was voted the Daily News Athlete of the Week from the week of 11/22-11/29. 

“It's always good to have the community backing you,” Hood said. 

During that week, Hood recorded 28 points and nine rebounds in wins over Connersville and Daleville. To Delta athletic director Tilmon Clark, Hood’s skills on the court are not the only thing he brings to the Eagles. 

“D'Amare brings passion and competitiveness to the sport that he is playing,” Clark said via email. “This ‘all-in’ approach positively affects the people around him and his teammates.”

The blue and gold have opened the season with three wins. Hood believes last season’s postseason run showed what this team is capable of. 

“We just gotta take it one game at a time,” he said. “Everybody is a nameless and faceless opponent [to us]. There's nobody that we can't match up with.”

The Ball State Daily News will use this program to honor athletes who had an impressive week or a breakout performance. A candidate from each school will be chosen and the community can vote for the winner. 

Candidates will be announced every Wednesday with the voting closing on the following Saturday at 5 p.m. If you believe a certain student-athlete should be your school’s candidate, email the Daily News high school sports reporter Zach Carter at zachary.carter@bsu.edu

To vote for the athletes, check the Daily News Sports account on X. 

Here are your nominees for athlete of the week from 11/29 - 12/6. 

Delta: Sophomore girls’ basketball player Elizabeth Bamidele - In the Eagles’ 58-47 win over Winchester on Wednesday, Nov. 29, Bamidele led the blue and gold with 20 points. She also recorded two rebounds, two assists, and four steals. 

Daleville: Senior boys’ basketball player Logan Leech - In their 46-44 win over Elwood on Saturday, Dec. 2, Leech scored eight points and led the Broncos with 12 rebounds. He also hit the game-winning layup as time expired. 

Wapahani: Senior boys’ basketball player Isaac Andrews - In the Raiders’ 78-44 win over Winchester on Friday, Dec. 1, Andrews recorded a double-double with 28 points and 12 rebounds. He also went 6-for-12 (50 percent) from three-point range.

Yorktown: Freshman girls’ basketball player Alexis Fields - In their 61-15 win over Burris on Saturday, Dec. 2, Fields led the Tigers with 12 points and grabbed five rebounds. 

Cowan: Senior boys’ basketball player Griffin Smith  - Smith recorded a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds in the Blackhawks’ loss to Shenandoah on Saturday, Dec. 2. 

Wes-Del: Junior boys’ basketball player Josiah Love - In the Warriors’ loss to Eastern Hancock on Saturday, Dec. 2, Love led Wes-Del with 17 points.