End of Semester Migration

College students texting moving into college dorm

As finals wrap up and the weather becomes colder and colder, for many college students these are signs that it's time to fly south for the winter…or any direction. Packing up and heading back home for winter break poses its own unique steps compared to a full move out at the end of the school year. Take a break from studying for finals to plan your winter move out!

Move-out Dates & Roommates 

The first step in preparing for move out is knowing your move out dates and return dates. For dorm room residents, there are exact dates in which students need to be moved out of their dorms and dates in which to return. For the 2023-2024 academic year, all residence halls will close December 16 at 9:00 am and reopen on January 7 at 9:00 am. For apartment and house residents, move out and move in dates are up to the resident. 

Next up is to have a discussion with your roommates about when each of you are moving out and planning on returning. For non-dorm room residents, some may not be moving out at all for the holidays. Knowing these details will make the move-out process smoother for everyone.

Packing Up & Closing Up

The biggest difference between moving out for winter break compared to summer break is packing. For the end of the school year in May, students need to pack up everything in their dorm. The process for house and apartment residents varies depending on their lease. When moving out for winter break, only take what you need. 

Needs are unique to each person. The basics are normally clothes, especially winter ones if you are heading somewhere that will be cold. As well as your school supplies like a laptop to stay up to date on emails and information over break. Everything past that depends on the person and what is valuable to them. 

Closing up goes hand and hand with packing up. Dorms normally have a list of closing up requirements before you leave. This may include setting the temperature a certain way or closing and locking windows. Most apartments and houses do not have strict winter closing guidelines, though it's a safe bet to follow the same ones the dorms give. 

Make sure all the lights are out and fans are turned off, no need to run up your electric bill when you aren’t living there. Throw out or use any food that will go bad while you are away. Make sure if you have any pets they are all accounted for and taken care of during break . Lastly, keep all valuables like money or personal information in a safe place while on break, as it will give you peace of mind while enjoying your time off. 

If you’re living in the dorms, Ball State asks that you do the following before leaving for winter break:

·       Leave your heater on low (so the water pipes don’t freeze)

·       Turn off all appliances and, if possible, unplug them

·       Empty your trash cans

·       Take home any plants and pet fish

·       Pack up important personal items (clothing, medications, ID, passport, personal valuables, computer, etc.)

·       Check your mailbox and pick up any packages from the front desk

·       Close and lock your windows 

The listing of rental units on The Roost Housing Guide is a service to local rental property owners and Ball State University students, faculty, and staff. Rental property owners are responsible for reporting information fairly and accurately, and Ball State Daily and Ball State University cannot guarantee the completeness or accuracy of such information. Inclusion of any property or rental unit on this website does not constitute, and shall not be construed or reported as (1) an endorsement or approval by Ball State Daily or Ball State University of the landlord, its properties, or its business practices, or (2) a warranty or representation by Ball State Daily or Ball State University as to the quality, safety or other features of such property and/or its owners or management agent(s). Ball State Daily and Ball State University expressly disclaim any and all responsibility for any problems that may arise with regard to such property or rental units or with regard to disputes between landlords and tenants concerning such property or rental units. All prospective tenants are encouraged to exercise their own good judgment when evaluating a prospective rental unit or landlord and use trusted resources such as the Better Business Bureau (www.bbb.org) and Ball State University’s Student Legal Services (www.bsu.edu/about/administrativeoffices/legalservices).