Postcards from day one of three from Athens, Georgia

<p>Second year journalism: news major Zach Carter reels in a largemouth bass on the Ohio River Sept. 8 in Lawerenceburg, IN. It was the only fish Carter caught. Mya Cataline, DN</p>

Second year journalism: news major Zach Carter reels in a largemouth bass on the Ohio River Sept. 8 in Lawerenceburg, IN. It was the only fish Carter caught. Mya Cataline, DN

Day one for the Ball State Daily News Sports team saw various things happen on the 13-hour total road trip to Georgia. 

Departing from Muncie at 6:00 a.m., the team made a quick stop at a gas station, with their eyes set on Lawrenceburg, Indiana, the first stop of the trip. 

Lawrenceburg being first on the list did not disappoint, and neither did reporter (fishermen) Zach Carter. 

Due to the time restraint the team was on, Carter had only 15 minutes to catch a fish on the Ohio River. With one minute to spare, Carter reeled in a largemouth bass, straight off the Ohio. 

Carterfishing_01.JPG
Second year journalism: news major Zach Carter gets ready to go fishing on the Ohio River Sept. 8 in Lawerenceburg, In. Carter stopped on his way to Athens, Ga. Mya Cataline, DN

The next trip was to Lexington, where a week ago, the Daily News was covering another Ball State football game. A quick stop at Rupp Arena, where the Kentucky Wildcats play, was the only thing on the agenda for Lexington. 

Next up was the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame. It was in Knoxville, Tennessee, built with the help of legendary head coach Pat Summitt. The Hall of Fame went through women’s basketball through the years since it was first founded one year after men’s basketball. 

A quick fact we picked up was that when women were first able to play, they played with a 12-pound medicine ball, wore all cotton (from head to toe) and could not sweat. If they sweated at all, they would have to be taken out of the game. 

After a straight drive from Knoxville, the team was finally in Athens. 

After checking into the hotel, they ended their day at the Blind Pig Tavern.