Meet the Divine 9

Learn all about the National Pan-Hellenic Council chapters here at Ball State University

Photo provided by Ball State NPHC

The National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) of Ball State University is a self-governing body that represents the nine nationally recognized historically black fraternities and sororities known as the Divine 9.

The Divine 9 consists of five fraternities: Alpha Phi Alpha, Kappa Alpha Psi, Omega Psi Phi, Phi Beta Sigma, and Iota Phi Theta; and four sororities: Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta, Sigma Gamma Rho, and Zeta Phi Beta. There are currently eight active chapters of the Divine 9 on campus.

Each of these organizations holds a week of events throughout the spring and fall semester of the academic school year. You can learn more about each fraternity or sorority individually by attending these events, and also by attending the informational meetings that they hold once a semester.

The National Pan-Hellenic Council works closely with the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life staff and consists of six executive council members and a voting representative from each fraternity and sorority.

The council promotes unity and unanimity of thought and action as far as possible in the conduct of Greek letter collegiate fraternities and sororities and to work together based off of problems of mutual interest of its member organizations.

NPHC contributes to the political, economic, spiritual, social, intellectual, moral welfare, and multicultural life on the campus of Ball State University and its surrounding community. This success is ensured through service in the public interest, the presentation of programs, and giving aggressive support to the upward mobility of the students on the campus and the youth of the community. This is all done while promoting brotherhood and sisterhood.

Sororities

Alpha Kappa Alpha

"By Culture, By Merit"

Delta Sigma Theta

"Intelligence is the Torch of Wisdom"

Sigma Gamma Rho

"Great Service, Great Progress"

Zeta Phi Beta

"Scholarship, Sisterly Love, Service, Finer Womanhood"

Fraternities

Alpha Phi Alpha

First of All, Servants of All, We Shall Transcend All"

Kappa Alpha Psi

"Achievement in Every Field of Human Endeavor"

Omega Psi Phi

"Friendship is essential to the soul"

Phi Beta Sigma

"Culture For Service, Service For Humanity"