Cardinals get swept in weekend series against Ohio

Senior infielder Haley Wynn bats in a game against Northern Illinois March 28 at the First Merchants Ballpark Complex. Wynn had two hits during the game. Katelyn Howell, DN

After taking over first place in the Mid-American Conference (MAC) last week, Ball State Softball looked to hold that position. But after being swept by the Ohio Bobcats in Athens, Ohio, the Cardinals are  now in fifth place while the Bobcats top the conference.

Saturday

To start the series, Ball State (16-16, 6-5 MAC) dropped the first game 13-3. Sophomore Angelina Russo took the mound for the Cardinals in the loss. Her previous three starts ended with complete game victories. But this start was not the case, as she gave up seven hits and eight runs. 

With the Cardinals being down, redshirt sophomore McKayla Timmons hit a three-run home run, giving her seven home runs on the season. But the Bobcats (19-14, 10-2 MAC) responded with two home runs including a grand slam in the next half inning. 

Offensive success for Ball State was spread throughout the roster. Fifth-year Amaia Daniel, Timmons, junior Kaitlyn Mathews and redshirt freshman Mckenna Mulholland all record hits. 

Sunday

After being defeated in the opening game, the Cardinals attempted to win the series with a doubleheader. But once again, the Bobcat’s hot offense prevailed. 

Ball State dropped the first game 10-2. The Bobcats had taken a 3-0 lead in the first two innings. Three innings later, they led 5-0. 

The Cardinals would remove the zero from the scoreboard when redshirt senior Jasmyne Armendariz hit a single that allowed Timmons to score. 

But besides that and a few other hits, Ball State found themselves in the loss column. 

Game three of the series and the second game of Sunday’s doubleheader was a bit different from its predecessors. The game was scoreless until the bottom of the third inning. Then Ohio scored four runs off of multiple hits. 

Coming into the fifth, the Cardinals needed a spark. Senior Haley Wynn went up to bat. On the 2-0 pitch, she launched a two-run home run. But in the end, her sixth homer of the year was not enough as Ball State fell short.

The team will try and re-group when they travel to Notre Dame Tuesday. The one-game series will take place at 8 p.m.

Contact Zach Carter with comments at zachary.carter@bsu.edu or on Twitter @ZachCarter85.