Delaware County football roundup: Delta falls to New Palestine, Muncie Central defeats Arsenal Tech, North Decatur shuts out Wes-Del and Yorktown loses to Mount Vernon

Fourth-year tight end/safety George Burhenn returns a kickoff in the game against Yorktown High School on Oct. 14 at Tiger Stadium in Yorktown, Indiana. Brayden Goins, DN

After one quarter, high school football fans thought they were going to see a defensive battle at Yorktown High School. 

In the second quarter, that could not have been farther from the truth.

In their last regular season game of the year, the Yorktown Tigers (6-3, 4-3 HHC) looked to get one more home victory against the Mount Vernon Marauders (6-3, 6-1 HHC). 

The game started with the Marauders receiving the ball. As they were driving down the field, they fumbled, which was recovered by the Tigers.

As the Tigers started to drive, third-year quarterback Mason Moulton threw an interception, which was returned for a touchdown at the 8:25 mark. After the touchdown, the Marauders converted a 2-point conversion. They led 8-0.

After getting the ball back, the Tigers had to punt. But a few plays later, they got the ball back after an interception. 

The defenses held it down as another pass from Moulton was intercepted by the Marauders. They would capitalize with a short touchdown pass at the 5:08 mark, extending their lead 15-0. 

A few minutes into the second quarter, Yorktown finally found the promised land as Moulton fired a bullet to fourth-year receiver Kolton Nanko at the 9:43 mark, making the score 15-7.

Right before the scoring play, the Tiger's third-year halfback Jalen Thomas walked off the field with an apparent injury. 

After the Tigers recovered another Marauders fumble, Thomas came back in the game and scored a touchdown at the 8:32 mark on a screen pass, making the score 15-14.

Tigers head coach Mike Wilhelm was not surprised.

“He's been like that all year,” he said. “He's gonna fight for every yard and he's going to help his team the best way he can.”

The Marauders followed that up with a 68-yard touchdown run at the 7:26 mark, making the score 22-14.

Once they got the ball back, the Tigers started to move down the field and, after a short catch, Nanko turned on the burners for a 54-yard touchdown completion at the 4:35 mark, making it 22-21. 

After a big sack, the Marauders snapped the ball over the punter's head and gave the Tigers a great field position toward the end of the half.

Thomas used this to get a three-yard touchdown run at the 2:32 mark, making the score 22-28.

The Marauders got the ball back and marched down the field and scored on a touchdown pass at the 1:10 mark, taking the lead back with a score of 29-28.

On the kickoff, Nanko got by a defender and after a huge block, returned it for a touchdown at the 0:55 mark. They took the lead 29-35 at the halfway mark.

After halftime, the offense for both teams began to slow down. The next scoring play was a Tiger field goal at the 7:05 mark in the third quarter, making the score 29-38.

The Marauders looked to be back to themselves as they drove down the field. But after what many Yorktown fans thought was a questionable roughing of the passer penalty, Mount Vernon scored on a short touchdown run making the score 35-38 with 3:33 left in the third quarter.

To end the third quarter, the Marauders would score on an up-and-over touchdown reception with time expiring. They took the lead back with a score of 42-38.

The fourth quarter was the Marauders' offense getting the best of the Tiger’s defense. 

After a Tiger fumble which was recovered by the defense, the Marauders quarterback threw a deep touchdown pass, which made the score 49-38 at the 10:31 mark.

The Tigers would give the ball right back after throwing another interception. The Marauders scored on another touchdown pass, upping the score 56-38 at the 8:05 mark. 

After a Tiger punt, the Marauders found the end-zone on a short touchdown run. This made the score 63-38 at the 5:53 mark.

The final score of the game would be the Tiger’s third-year defensive end Ayden Ewing scoring on a short touchdown run at the 2:47 mark. This would leave the final score 63-45 in favor of Mount Vernon.

Kolton Nanko had eight catches for 128 yards and had 2 receiving touchdowns inclduing a touchdown off the kickoff return.

The Tiger defense forced three turnovers from the Marauders, but gave up six of their own. 

Next week, the Tigers take on the Delta Eagles in their first sectional game. Nanko is prepared.

“We beat them last time and I feel pretty good,” he said. “I'm just gonna stick to the game plan for them. It should be a pretty good game.”

Around Delaware County, Delta fell to New Palestine 47-7, Muncie Central defeated Arsenal Tech 47-34 and Wes Del lost to North Decatur 51-0. 

Contact Zach Carter with comments at zachary.carter@bsu.edu or on Twitter @ZachCarter85.