Snyder’s 17 kills propel Cardinals past Huskies

The Ball State Women's Volleyball team huddles up during a time out in a game against Arkansas State at Worthen Arena Sept. 9. Ball State beat Arkansas State 3-0. Caroline Stalvey, DN

“It’s just about taking the right shot at the right time,” third-year outside hitter Cait Snyder said.

Ball State Women’s Volleyball (13-6, 5-2) took down the Mid-American Conference (MAC) West Division leader Northern Illinois (13-5, 6-2) in four sets on the road.

“It was a tough win,” head coach Kelli Miller Phillips said. “Northern Illinois plays in a tough environment and they play clean volleyball so going out there and getting a big conference win means a lot.”

Led on the offensive side of the net by Snyder with 17 kills, the Cardinals kept control of the match, outside of the set three loss by two points (23-25).

“Honestly, that setter-hitter connection is really starting to click and I think that’s showing in [Snyder’s] performances the last few weeks,” Phillips said.

Snyder has led the team in kills in three of their last four matches, dating back to Sept. 30 against Eastern Michigan.

In the three sets that they won, Ball State did not let the Huskies score more than 20 points, holding them to 19, 18 and 15 points respectively. Defensively, the Cardinals were anchored by fourth-year outside hitter Natalie Risi with a solo block and third-year middle blocker Lauren Gilliland with four block assists.

Ball State remains in DeKalb, Illinois Saturday with a 3 p.m. ET start time against the Huskies.

Contact Corbin Hubert with comments at cchubert@bsu.edu or on Twitter @corbin_hubert_