Protestors gather at Indiana Statehouse following Roe vs. Wade decision

Protesters carried colorful signs and sometimes shared personal stories when they gathered at the Indiana Statehouse June 25, a response to a 6-3 vote by the Supreme Court that overturned Roe v. Wade. 

The court’s June 24 decision to overturn Roe, scrapped constitutional rights to abortion in the U.S., leaving the issue for individual states to decide.

As the post-Roe reality begins to set in, some citizens responded by taking to the streets.

In Indianapolis, protesters marched up Ohio Street to Monument Circle before stopping to demonstrate. The event had been going for over an hour when officials tried to contain the crowds.

Various colorful signs with slogans overflowed the already crowded steps of the monument; microphones and megaphones stood above the heads of the crowds.

“I just want to know why it’s so important for the fetus to be brought to term, and then for nothing to happen thereafter," protestor Kendal Atkins said. "Why they don’t care about all the kids in foster care, why they don’t care what happens to the mothers who’re going through a difficult pregnancy, and why does it matter until it’s something that affects them directly."

Designated leaders of the protest guided another group down Market Street and throughout Downtown Indianapolis. The energized crowd was peaceful but drew the attention of some in passing cars. Honking and yelling could be heard, and crying was seen through the translucent front windows of many cars. 

Protestors shared their stories while others listened and the groups felt unified in an equal feeling of infuriation by the decision.

“It’s a massive violation of the recognition of everyone’s bodily autonomy,” protestor Frances Roy said. “This will cause maternal death in a way that is senseless and irresponsible. We have nobody to blame except our representatives for this.” 

Despite the protest coming to an end as the evening began, those in attendance believe this situation is just unfolding.

“Think about the people in your lives and what options they should have if they were ever violated or if they were ever in a situation of distress where they needed an abortion,” Roy said. “Or the people who either face the choice of delivering a baby or dying themselves. It’s not your choice to make that, so the apathy is really apparent in that decision.”

Contact the Daily News with comments at editor@bsudailynews.com or on Twitter @bsudailynews.