Having fun on campus

<p>Kristen Olson and Taylor West play Jenga in Charlie Town Sept. 22, 2018, before Ball State played Western Kentucky in football. Charlie Town is a tailgating opportunity, and takes place before every home football game. <strong>Eric Pritchett, DN File</strong></p>

Kristen Olson and Taylor West play Jenga in Charlie Town Sept. 22, 2018, before Ball State played Western Kentucky in football. Charlie Town is a tailgating opportunity, and takes place before every home football game. Eric Pritchett, DN File

Although it’s nice to get off campus from time to time, there are several events happening on campus. Some happen every week and others happen once a year. Here’s a list of some on-campus events Ball State has to offer:

Late Nite

Late Nite is hosted in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center every Saturday. Each event has a different theme, which determines what kinds of activities students can do. Plus, there’s also free food.

This event is from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. every Saturday. Students can also volunteer for Late Nite, as it is planned and run by students. Admission is free with your Ball State ID. 

In previous years, guests ages 16 and older could enter for $5, but no guests without a Ball State ID were allowed during the 2020-21 school year as part of the University Program Board’s COVID-19 response. To see if this policy changes, monitor your BSU email once the fall 2021 semester begins.

Late Nite Carnival

Late Nite Carnival is one theme that’s always repeated. The annual event is a great way to end the semester with rides, games and carnival food. There’s also a fireworks show.

Students can get advance tickets and go in an hour early. The carnival takes place during one of the last weekends in the school year, and is hosted in the commuter parking lot by West Bethel Avenue.

Friday Night Filmworks

Hosted by the University Program Board (UPB), Friday Night Filmworks is a weekly movie showing in Pruis Hall each Friday at 9 p.m. The movies are normally ones that have been recently released, and students vote themselves for a movie of their choice once per semester.

This event is free for students. Popcorn, candy and drinks are available for 50 cents each. Before the COVID-19 pandemic, guests could join for $1. UPB’s guest policy may change to allow guests again beginning this fall.

East Side Bash

This end-of-year celebration takes place on the lawn by the Noyer Complex. Each student receives a specialty dinner and free T-shirt. There are games, live entertainment and inflatables.

Registration is free, but students must register in advance.

Grocery Bingo

This is another UPB-hosted event. Students receive a bingo card when they enter, and winners can pick out groceries. There are also mini-games throughout the evening, where students can win prizes like a Keurig or microwave. Bigger prizes vary from event to event. Grocery Bingo is hosted twice a year.

Homecoming

Homecoming Week, scheduled for Oct. 18–23, 2021, has several activities students can be part of in addition to the football game. Events include:

• The Homecoming Village has games, food trucks and live entertainment. Code Red — Ball State’s dance team, the Pride of Mid-America Marching Band and Ball State Cheerleaders perform, and several businesses have specials.

• The Annual Talent Search is a way to see what talents Ball State students have to offer. A $500 scholarship is given to the winner in each category, as well as the overall winner. The event is sponsored by the Alumni Association and the Student Government Association. Admission is free.

• Air Jam is one of the most popular events during Homecoming. Various student organizations participate in the lip-syncing competition, from dance groups like Code Red to members of sororities and fraternities. Tickets for Air Jam cost $15.

• The Bed Races are exactly what they sound like — teams of five people race down the street with a dorm bed on wheels. Four people push the bed, and one person rides on it. Division winners receive a plaque, and the team with the best costumes and the overall fastest team each win a trophy.

• For those who want some exercise before tailgating, there’s the Chase Charlie 5K run/walk. Participants start at City Hall in downtown Muncie and finish in the Village.

• There is also a traditional parade with floats, cars and horses to celebrate the weekend. The parade route starts in downtown Muncie and ends on campus.