Campus involvement

A list of well-known student organizations at Ball State

<p><strong>Madeline Grosh, DN File</strong></p>

Madeline Grosh, DN File

As campus sees the return of a few more in-person events this fall, there will be plenty of opportunities to get involved. Here are some major student organizations on campus students need to be aware of:

BIG FOUR:

The Big Four refers to the four largest multicultural organizations on Ball State’s campus — Asian Student Union, Black Student Association, Latinx Student Union and Spectrum, the campus LGBTQ+ organization. These organizations host events like the Unity Pageant, Latinxpalooza, the semi-annual drag show and more.

These organizations help students in minority communities find a sense of belonging and host events open to students from all backgrounds.

SAIAC:

The Student Anti-racism and Intersectionality Advisory Council (SAIAC) advocates for a more welcoming campus community by fostering communication between students and faculty members, as well as specific departments and organizations on campus. Its goal is to educate campus community members about anti-racism and inclusivity through live discussions and through offering feedback on syllabi for courses discussing the intersections of racism with other oppressive ideologies, such as sexism, classism and homophobia.

SGA:

Ball State’s Student Government Association (SGA) helps represent the student body’s voice to the university administration. From funding small events and projects to hosting speakers and other student organizations, this organization helps the student body in small ways when it can. SGA members are the student representatives in the university governance process and they work closely with their adviser and university leaders to bring larger ideas to fruition.

UML:

The Unified Media Lab is the home of several student-run campus media organizations. There’s something for nearly every type of interest you have — work for a newspaper at The Daily News, write for a magazine with Ball Bearings, report for the county’s only TV news station with NewsLink Indiana, cover entertainment news with Byte magazine and so much more. These organizations aren’t restricted to students from any particular majors and are open for anyone to join at any capacity.

Other organizations:

Obviously, there are many more organizations than the ones mentioned above that deal with different interests students might have — religious, political, academic, club sports and more. More information about these organizations can be found on Ball State’s Benny Link website. Contact the organizations directly to find out more about changes to their operations during the upcoming semester.