Ball State prepares for spring 2021 graduation

<p>Fall 2019 Ball State graduates get ready to turn the tassels on their caps Dec. 14, 2019, at John E. Worthen Arena. Ball State&#x27;s spring 2020 graduation ceremony was postponed due to COVID-19 concerns, and those graduates were invited to attend commencement this semester. <strong>Jacob Musselman, DN</strong></p>

Fall 2019 Ball State graduates get ready to turn the tassels on their caps Dec. 14, 2019, at John E. Worthen Arena. Ball State's spring 2020 graduation ceremony was postponed due to COVID-19 concerns, and those graduates were invited to attend commencement this semester. Jacob Musselman, DN

The number of class of 2021 students registered for commencement by college

R. Wayne Estopinal College of Architecture and Planning = 121

Miller College of Business = 376

College of Communication, Information and Media = 256

College of Fine Arts = 184

College of Health =275

College of Sciences and Humanities = 507

Teachers College = 219

Source: Kathy Wolf, vice president for marketing and communications

After a year with no in-person graduation ceremonies, Ball State is preparing to host more than 3,000 students who registered to walk at graduation in Scheumann Stadium.

Kathy Wolf, vice president for marketing and communications, said in an email the May 7 and 8 ceremonies will honor 2021 graduates. There will also be separate ceremonies May 15 for 2020 graduates whose commencement was canceled because of the pandemic.

Wolf said more than 2,300 students will be attending the 2021 celebration, and approximately 900 will be at the 2020 celebration.

Wolf said only two ceremonies are scheduled for spring, summer and fall 2020 graduates because of the number of reservations from students from the classes of 2020.

Each student who registered for commencement was given four guest tickets. Overall attendance for all ceremonies is expected to be around 16,000.

“This ticket allotment is based on the number of total people that we can safely accommodate based on the Delaware County Health Department COVID-19 guidelines for events,” Wolf said.

When registering for graduation, students were given the option to select between the classes of 2020 and 2021. All of the 2020 graduates will be honored together May 15, but the class of 2021 will be split between different colleges.

Commencement will be a series of small, outdoor gatherings organized by colleges to comply with state and local social distancing guidelines.

The schedule is as follows:

Spring 2021 Graduates — Friday, May 7

• Graduate School, 7 p.m. (Doctoral, Specialist and Master’s candidates)

Spring 2021 Graduates — Saturday, May 8 (Bachelor’s and Associate candidates)

8 a.m.

• R. Wayne Estopinal College of Architecture and Planning

• College of Communication, Information and Media

• Teachers College

Noon

• Miller College of Business

4 p.m.

• College of Fine Arts

• College of Health

8 p.m.

• College of Sciences and Humanities

Class of 2020 Graduates — Saturday, May 15

• This is the day for dedicated ceremonies for all May, July and December 2020 graduates. Two ceremonies are scheduled and times will be announced at a later date.

All ceremonies will be held at Scheumann Stadium.