Homestretch bucket list: 10 activities for Ball State seniors to do before graduating

Unsplash, Photo Courtesy
Unsplash, Photo Courtesy

As the 2021 school year comes to a close, soon-to-be graduates may feel their time at Ball State is ending too fast. During the last few days of your final spring semester, consider these bucket-list items to check off before your college’s commencement ceremony.

Enjoy the spring weather at University Green or North Quad

On a sunny day, gather your friends to hammock or have a picnic in the grass at University Green or North Quad. Enjoy the college campus atmosphere of student voices and skateboards passing by one last time while studying for finals outside or relaxing in the sun.

Visit the Dr. Joe and Alice Rinard Orchid Greenhouse

Explore a variety of tropical plants or animals, like poison dart frogs, turtles and species of goldfish, at the Dr. Joe and Alice Rinard Orchid Greenhouse. The greenhouse is located behind Ball Gymnasium. 

Rylan Capper, DN

Sample coffee at every cafe in Muncie

Instead of purchasing a drink at Starbucks or Dunkin’ Donuts for a caffeine boost during finals week, visit Muncie’s multiple coffee shops to try out their unique menu items that aren’t available in your hometown. Some of Muncie’s local coffee shops include The Cup, Rosebud Coffee House and Cafe at the Crossing.

Dine at local restaurants in the Village

Grab a bite to eat at Yats for a taste of New Orleans cuisine, or take a sip of boba tea at Hoku Poku. Order a beer and a burger at Roots Burger Bar or Brothers Bar and Grill. To celebrate Cinco de Mayo during finals week, stop by Chava’s Mexican Grill. Don’t forget to stop by staples of the Village, such as Greek’s Pizzeria, HotBox Pizza and Pita Pit.

Rylan Capper, DN

Take a late-night walk to Insomnia Cookies

After pulling an all-nighter to study for finals, reward yourself by venturing over to the Village for cookies with an ice cream scoop from Insomnia. The shop is open until 1 a.m. Sunday through Wednesday and until 3 a.m. Thursday through Saturday. 

Jacob Musselman, DN

Take a walk in Christy Woods

Lace up your sneakers, and go on a nature walk through Christy Woods, located near the Charles W. Brown Planetarium. The 17-acre outdoor teaching laboratory hosts guided tours, or you can explore the woods and its plant species on your own. Christy Woods is open from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday through Sunday. 

Jacob Musselman, DN

View campus from the top floor of Teacher’s College

On the 10th floor of one of Muncie’s tallest buildings, students can gain a new perspective of the campus where they’ve spent the last four years. Right off the Teacher’s College’s elevator, there is a window students can look out of to see straight down McKinley Avenue and Muncie’s canopy of trees. 

Have a movie night with friends

Host a movie night in your dorm or apartment using Ball State’s Housing and Residence Life’s movie service, hrlmovies.bsu.edu. Access to these movies is only available while on Ball State’s campus. For those living off campus, sign up for Hulu or Amazon Prime Video’s student discount. By signing up with your Ball State email, Hulu is only $1.99 per month, and Amazon Prime Video is free for six months. 

Decorate your graduation cap

Go on a shopping spree at Joann Fabrics or Hobby Lobby on McGalliard Road to pick up some craft supplies to decorate your cap for this year’s in-person commencement ceremony at Scheumann Stadium. For inspiration, check out Pinterest to find designs relating to your major or favorite pop culture references. 

Take graduation pictures by Shafer Tower, Frog Baby and Beneficence

Once you’ve received your cap and gown, bring a friend and camera to take photos of you posing in your graduation attire at three of campus’ most notable spots. Have your friend get low to the ground so they can include Beneficence’s wings and Shafer Tower’s bells in the background of your photos.