Ball State SGA votes on elections code, two amendments

<p>Ball State SGA senators look over the proposed updates to the elections code at the optional in-person meeting on Feb 3. The code passed 31-0, with one abstention. <strong>Maya Wilkins, Screenshot Capture.</strong></p>

Ball State SGA senators look over the proposed updates to the elections code at the optional in-person meeting on Feb 3. The code passed 31-0, with one abstention. Maya Wilkins, Screenshot Capture.

On Feb. 3, the Ball State Student Government Association (SGA) held its first optional in-person meeting for the spring 2021 semester and voted on updating the elections code for the 2021 election.

The elections code proposed changes to make the spring 2021 election safe during the COVID-19 pandemic. With the new updates, senators are not required to get signatures from the student body as part of the nomination process and debate procedures will be updated so students can view them in a safe way and the candidates can social distance. 

The code passed 31-0, with one abstention.

SGA was also introduced to two amendments, the first being an update to the executive official eligibility requirements.

The amendment would require the SGA president and vice president to each have at least one semester of experience in the organization before running for office. As of now, they are not required to have any experience, while the president pro tempore needs at least three semesters of experience and the parliamentarian needs two.

President Pro Tempore Dylan Lewandowski said that if passed, this amendment would be put in place after the upcoming election because senators will be voting on it Feb. 10, and the nominations for this election cycle are due Feb. 9.

“It’s not that I’m trying to push people away,” said Senator Trent McKenzie, author of the amendment, “A student should at least have been in a part of a lower position prior to [president or vice president] to actually gain experience and gain connections.”

The final amendment that was presented was regarding the parliamentarian’s duties, proposing that they should no longer have the power to appoint senators to the Rules and Constitution Committee.

The Rules and Constitution Committee is the only one that a member of the executive board must appoint people to. By eliminating this, McKenzie, author of this amendment, said that it would “make everything uniform and in line.”

The senate will vote on this amendment at their next meeting, Feb. 10.

SGA will hold their next meeting on Feb. 10 over Zoom, and plans to have another optional in-person meeting on Feb. 17.

Contact Maya Wilkins with comments at mrwilkins@bsu.edu or on Twitter @mayawilkinss.