Ball State SGA votes on line of succession, vacancy amendment

<p>SGA Senate looks at Senator James Wells&#x27; proposed amendment on filling vacancies and the line of succession at the Oct. 28 Zoom meeting. The amendment passed 46-0, with three abstentions. <strong>Maya Wilkins, Screenshot Capture</strong></p>

SGA Senate looks at Senator James Wells' proposed amendment on filling vacancies and the line of succession at the Oct. 28 Zoom meeting. The amendment passed 46-0, with three abstentions. Maya Wilkins, Screenshot Capture

On Oct. 28, Ball State Student Government Association (SGA) held its weekly senate meeting over Zoom, where they voted on an amendment introduced last week regarding filling vacancies on the Executive Board and defining the line of succession.

RELATED: Ball State SGA votes on loyalty campaign, vote center

The amendment was proposed by Senator James Wells, who explained that it is to clarify what is outlined about the succession process in the SGA constitution. There is already a succession process outlined for the presidential position, with vice president and president pro tempore succeeding if the president were to resign or be removed. 

The amendment also defined what to do if there is a vacancy in the Executive Board, particularly with the chief administrator and treasurer. If there is a vacancy with any of those positions, the president will nominate a replacement and they will have to be approved with a two-thirds majority vote from the senate.

“This amendment is, hopefully, to tie up that loose end when we wrote this constitution, which was just something that we neglected to think about,” Wells said.

The amendment passed 46-0, with three abstentions.

President Pro Tempore Dylan Lewandowski also encouraged senators to show up to the Nov. 4 meeting, even with the national election and emotions running high.

“We all have a job to do in SGA to enhance the student experience, I know we’ve all done a great job and I would hate to see a lot of you guys absent next week,” Lewandowski said.

SGA is hosting their Nov. 4 meeting via Zoom, but is planning on holding another in-person meeting later in the month, depending on changes in COVID-19 guidelines.

Contact Maya Wilkins with comments at mrwilkins@bsu.edu or on Twitter @mayawilkinss.